Axe help please...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Need some recomendations on axe's or more specificly where to by them from.
Up untill now I have only really used small £9.99 hatchet models. that do a good few camping trips but don't really cut the grade anymore.

As my "level" of shelter building and getting logs for the fire is changing im looking to get a Limbing axe.

Could someone recomend a decent online shop.

Thanks,
Lodian

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Firstly I would suggest you are sure of the type you want (see my article on "selecting an axe").

That said a limbing axe is a good choice although larger than some prefer,

In that range, you won't go far worong with a Gransfors Bruks Scandinavian Forest Axe

If you can, shop local, check several of the same model for fit, finish, helve alignment etc.

If you must shop on line, go to a reputable retailer and ask them to check the axe for you explaining what you are looking for.

I suggest you talk to Lurch at Lakeland Bushcraft or Rob at Wilderness 121

Red

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
the gransfors axes are very good tools- but i find that they are quite expensive, if you want a good quality tool for a bit cheaper but you're willing to put the work in, check ebay and car boot sales for older pieces in good nick, then sharpen and re handle them yourself- the total cost of my three axes was £35, which leaves you enough change out of the cost of the SFA to get a few pints and a burger

leon-1

Get in touch with SMARTY about getting a Snow & Nealley Hudson Bay axe, having recently handled one again I am itching to buy one myself. I have a smaller version made by Norlund that's excellent and the two would make a very nice little set.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I'd also clarify which GB axe you get as well. BR said a 'Scandanavian Forest Axe' and others have refered to the SFA which generally means 'Small Forest Axe'. Just be aware that there is a difference between the two models.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE