axe handle straight or curved?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
A while ago I read Old Jimbo's advanced axe selection page http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/aas.html here is a brief except

"It came as a big shock to me when researching axes to find out that most single bit falling axes are designed wrong: not poorly - wrong. Originally single bit axes had straight handles, and when curved handles came into fashion it didn't affect fallers because they'd already moved to double bit axes which have straight handles. The first book to get to learn about this is Dudley Cook's "Keeping Warm with an Axe". It's reprinted with other titles now. The first advantage of the straight handle is that the grain of the wood is continuous through it. Take a look at any curved handled axe and you'll see that very little continuous grain goes all the way through the handle. That's why it's so important to have vertical grain in the handle of your axe. In the old days fallers would thin down the handles of their axes to increase spring and reduce shock. This is more than just a myth, as you'll see nowadays if you talk to people who use impact tools on a continuous basis. Their maladies are more painful than typists with repetitive stress. Talking of straight handles is sort of academic because you can't get a single bit with a straight handle, and you can't put a straight handle on your single bit because you can't get one unless you make your own(double bit handles won't fit). Learning about straight handles is the start to learning about axe performance though."

I went straight out to buy Dudley Cook's ax book. I have just read through his section on straight vs curved handles and I have to say I believe it is very opinionated and wrong. Old Jimbo has pointed out how accurately the gransfors axes work with their curved handle and many of us know from personal experience that a curved handle can and does work well. Cook's assertions about real foresters only using double bit axes with straight handles is equally wrong. I do not know if there was any truth in it in the US (I wished he would give some references when he makes such assertions) but in the UK serious professional foresters only used single bit axes with curved handles (early photos in Herb Edlins "woodland crafts of Britain" and axes in collection of the "Museum of English Rural Life" ).

I love Whipples drawings but let's question the thinking behind this one and see if we can construct an alternative theory as to why a curved handle does work well.

axe1c.jpg

Now my feeling is that for a right handed user the left hand on the fawns foot provides the pivot point of the swing and the fine adjustment of direction is provided by the right hand which is gripping further up on the straight section of the handle and by the triangulation of the two hands working together, if you accept this then the whole "doubling length of fore section" theory fails. It would also seem to me that if you fitted a straight handle to the lower axe the central line would be above the one of the curved handle by perhaps an inch, perhaps this is the main purpose of the curved handle, it does in fact reduce the effective fore section by that inch. Cook goes on about the short grain of a curved handle but using the picture above the short grain is at the back near the head and the front at the fawns foot, neither of which are weak points.

I would be interested to hear any thoughts on this.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmm interesting. I think of Jim as one of the most knowledgeable of modern axemen but I'm not sure I agree with him on this one. However I don't agree on the sheepsfoot being the point of pivot - it is further forward that that when I use one. I believe it is further back on a double bit. What I dont buy though is the "right / wrong" part. The blade geometry is completely different and I'm not sure I believe the RSA thing either - its an over simplification. What we should do is get a nice slow motion sequence of both in use (against a vertical tree of course) and do a frame track analysis to work it out.

It would prove nothing but Id enjoy it!

Red

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
sounds like its time to get two identicle axeheads and put different handles on them, same length and girth but one straight and one bent.

I've always thought of the bent handle as more efficiently directed blows, like with a kukri. The straight handle would be more versatile if you are prone to turning the axe around (double bit or a hammer on the poll). Also straight is a damn sight easier to make!

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I don't agree on the sheepsfoot being the point of pivot - it is further forward that that when I use one.

Yep I agrees sort of, in fact I find having had a quick go and looked what I do the pivot point for me moves during the swing, starting at the elbow through most of the swing then towards the end of the swing the elbows stop moving and the wrists move, at this point the pivot point moves from elbow right up to the point where my two hands touch. Does this rapid shortening of the radius of swing increase speed? It will certainly increase centripetal force and the tension in the handle.

What we should do is get a nice slow motion sequence of both in use (against a vertical tree of course) and do a frame track analysis to work it out.

It would prove nothing but Id enjoy it!

Red

I would very much enjoy that too. I suspect what we would learn would be that technique is far more important than handle shape or anything else.

Its interesting that the Japanese use straight handles though their axes are very different with the weight tending to be centred well forward of the eye. My Gransfors splitting maul also has a straight handle and I find it fine to use but I prefer a felling axe with a curved handle.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Does it offer a benefit in terms of balance when choking up on the head? All my axes are straight handled but none are more than hatchet sized really

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
here's the article URL

Supposedly, The curved handle was developed for 2 reasons: to increase leverage and improve accuracy.... and thats according to about half of the sources.. here are some more articles to supplement your theory(s)

another good article on axe-evolution

A good PDF download from gransfors

In my opinion, the curved handle is better for accuracy simply because of the evolution of how swords were designed. It seems that a curved edge not only increases the amount of depth of cut into an object, but also favors the accuracy of the swing.

To solve the problem of having a weaker grain within a curved handle it would be a good experiment (albeit time consuming) to grow trees in the shape of the intended axe handle. Could also try working with a steam system to slowly form a required shape!

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
I like straight handles,both axes and hatchets.Not that I remove curved one when I buy axe/hatchet,but as soon as it worns out I replace it with straight one.I feel I have better control that way then with curved one,especially when cleaning branches from felled tree,when need various of axe position.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE