axe handle shape???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i was trying to make a new handle for an axe last week, i tried to make the slightly S-shaped style and it went a bit wrong so it looks as if iv just wasted a good peice of ash:( then it hit me, why not just make a strait one:confused: what advantage is there in having it a fancy shape, surely its just weeker than a strait handle? what do you think?

thanks
pete

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
A straight handle is just the wrong shape for many tasks it presents the head at the wrong angle and causes fatigue of the wrist.

yes but then so does a shaped handle. Try using a granny B hatchet to knock in a few tent pegs and tell me if it was more ergonomic than if you had used a straight handled version ;)

Horses for courses

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
i was trying to make a new handle for an axe last week, i tried to make the slightly S-shaped style and it went a bit wrong so it looks as if iv just wasted a good peice of ash:( then it hit me, why not just make a strait one:confused: what advantage is there in having it a fancy shape, surely its just weeker than a strait handle? what do you think?

thanks
pete

I personally am a fan of a slightly shaped handle though many like the straight and for many centuries it was the standard pattern. If you are struggling to make a shaped one there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing a straight one.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
yes but then so does a shaped handle. Try using a granny B hatchet to knock in a few tent pegs and tell me if it was more ergonomic than if you had used a straight handled version ;)

Horses for courses

's what hammers are for Dave :p

though i take your point- the shape of the handle should be tailored to the use that the axe is going to have- if it's purely for carving it will have a different handle to a felling axe etc.

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
Coincidentally, not long since I read a chapter on the shape of axe handles in The Ax Book: The Lore and Science of the Woodcutter by D.Cook in which the author makes a convincing argument for the straight handle being preferable to the almost universally adopted s shape. The main reason being that the straight handle delivered the axe head more precisely with the s shape magnifying any inaccuracies in swing. I haven't got the book in front of me at the mo but there are even mathematical calculations provided to back up the theory!
The piece goes on to point out that the s shape appeared some time after the axe had been largely replaced for serious commercial felling by the large felling saws and eventually the chainsaw. Prior to that the most popular pattern in commercial felling had been the double bit axe - with the straight handle.
It's an interesting theory that the s shape handle with its perception of delivering more power per swing and fashionable appeal might have been short lived, being perhaps tried and subsequently disgarded by professional lumberjacks had the axe itself stayed longer as the primary felling tool.
My axemanship isn't of a sufficiently high standard to judge:rolleyes::) .
The book is a great read though.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
You could try a "J" shape handle. I rehandled a hatchet with this shape and have found it to work very well (there are some pics of it in my gallery).
It is relatively simple to do and in use imparts an extra kick to the forward motion.
Hope this helps.
Neil

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Coincidentally, not long since I read a chapter on the shape of axe handles in The Ax Book: The Lore and Science of the Woodcutter by D.Cook in which the author makes a convincing argument for the straight handle being preferable to the almost universally adopted s shape. The main reason being that the straight handle delivered the axe head more precisely with the s shape magnifying any inaccuracies in swing. I haven't got the book in front of me at the mo but there are even mathematical calculations provided to back up the theory!
The piece goes on to point out that the s shape appeared some time after the axe had been largely replaced for serious commercial felling by the large felling saws and eventually the chainsaw. Prior to that the most popular pattern in commercial felling had been the double bit axe - with the straight handle.
It's an interesting theory that the s shape handle with its perception of delivering more power per swing and fashionable appeal might have been short lived, being perhaps tried and subsequently disgarded by professional lumberjacks had the axe itself stayed longer as the primary felling tool.
My axemanship isn't of a sufficiently high standard to judge:rolleyes::) .
The book is a great read though.

D Cook does sound convincing though he comes entirely from a North American perspective, I have argued this point with Old Jimbo who takes Cooks line too.

This bit " the s shape appeared some time after the axe had been largely replaced for serious commercial felling by the large felling saws and eventually the chainsaw. Prior to that the most popular pattern in commercial felling had been the double bit axe - with the straight handle" may or may not be true in the US, he gives no sources, but it is certainly not true in Europe where double bits were never common and professional foresters were using shaped axe handles whilst doing very serious felling work. Cooks pseudo science starts from a preconception and defends the position. To me the interesting thing is not the question of trying to defend any one pattern as being the ultimate but how interesting that supremely skilled folk can make wonderful things with a wide range of different tools and the differences from country to country or even county to county and over time are equally interesting.

Boatswain

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2007
South London
I've thought about this for a while and it seems to me that an axe and a hammer are not that dissimilar both have the working face perpendicular to the handle so if there was an advatage wouldn't hammers have curved hafts, however when using larger axes with a 2 handed grip then I expect that the the curved handle might offer a mechanical advantage although sledge hammers still have straight hafts.

Cheers

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
When you use a sledge it can strike from both faces equally so it has a symetrical straight handle.
Some bigger american framing hammers (22 ounce+) do have a fawn foot axe handle type thing on them.
Personally I like the finnish kirves "vaccuum cleaner" handle shape, I like that elbow end section so you hold the axe more like in a pstol grip. But I dont fell trees, only use axes to carve with:lmao:

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
lots of hammers do have curved handles, look at the new stanley range especially, or some other claw hammers that have an exaggerated heel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE