Axe and saw carrier - prototype

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been meaning to have a go for a while at something to carry my axe and folding buck saw in. Mainly so I can strap them into the canoe easier but also something that makes a firewood yomp a bit easier too.

I'd already made a case for the saw out of my old inflatable canoe shell, I still had some bits left over so thought I'd have a crack at mkII.

It just so happens Mr Mears added one to his site last week so I thought I'd try and emulate it.

Just the prototype but you get the idea ....

Saw goes into long main section
DSC02506P.jpg

Sewn in grosgrain loops for attaching carry cord
DSC02509P.jpg

I've added a sleeve inside the saw compartment for a spare blade, you can make out the stitching on here
DSC02512P.jpg

There's a second sleeve on the outside which then takes the axe
DSC02510P.jpg

I'm still thinking about the closure, probably gonna go for a button and thong wrap although a nice leather strap and brass buckle would work
DSC02511P.jpg

Got some decent canvas coming plus I've got a list growing for a Le Prevo mission.

Last edited:

WeThePeoplexfbm

Settler
Dec 27, 2010
Australlia- NSW.
oh this is could work ^^ i love it, really good idea of carrin them, i dont take my little axe, no way of carrin it and cant put it in ym alice might ripp it, but that is one ehll of a good idea ^^

--
Skipp

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Great idea and a great job, too!
It doesn't matter if it doesn't have a factoryfinish. It does it's job and it's homemade. Can't beat that, can you?
I had something similar in mind, but seeing it done this way makes it easier.
I was going for a more eleborate version, making an enclosed section for the axeblade, too.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Great work there Shewie, really like the idea. At the minute I keep my saw in my main pack and the axe between side pouch and main pack but that would certainly be an easier way to carry it. and safer too. So would not catch anything in the pack. I may have to borrow the idea. :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nice one Rich... looks really good. goodjob

Only thing I'd do for Mk3 is if you're going to carry a spare blade seperately think how you're going to protect the material when you slide it in and out. Bare teeth of a blade would soon cut through it :rolleyes:

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Maybe could keep the spare blade in a folded wax paper, to protect the fabric when sliding in and out (that said you only get it out if you break the main one) and to protect a bit from humidity.

EDIT: + it gives you a bit of spare fire starter ;)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice one Rich... looks really good. goodjob

Only thing I'd do for Mk3 is if you're going to carry a spare blade seperately think how you're going to protect the material when you slide it in and out. Bare teeth of a blade would soon cut through it :rolleyes:

Yeah that's a good point Steve

My spare 2ft blades I have at the moment are in a cardboard sleeve but that might not always be the case. I was gonna try and find one of those slim plastic things you just slide onto the teeth.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It just goes to show; you never can tell!

I've actually been toying around with a sleeve type axe & saw carrier for a while now, though I was thinking more toward a Laplander than a buck saw:p

like the work though Rich:)

well done

R.B.

Ivan Owen

Tenderfoot
Bin thinkin about doing this myself (beat me to it, grrrr)

Seems to me like this sort of thing may well have existed some time in history, maybe a combination of a quiver of arrows, a bow, with whatever cutting implements they used at the time and a blanket wrapped around or something? Could have bin the 'original' backpack?

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
That is great, as I have a Duluth saw as well and have been tinking of getting a gase for it. It rattles a bit when I have it on my bike or in my pack so I wanted a case with a bit heaveir material, so this looks like a good idea, if I can get the Axe in there as well. My saw is in an old fihing rod nylon cover at the moment, so I like this a lot. Thanks for sharing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE