Avoiding Revision - a walk in the woods

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I am supposed to be spending the weekend revising for my OU exams which take place next Friday. But ... SWMBO went out with the girlies/the sun was shining/I haven't been out for ages.

So I thought I'd spend a couple of hours in the woods - telling myself I needed to calm my mind to prepare for the task ahead...

Started off with a bit of tree recognition - these are definitely, 100%, Noble Firs:

noblefirs.jpg

(I know this because I stated my walk at an arboretum and the plaque said so!:) )

Couldn't recognise these fellows on a wind-downed tree (any guesses welcome - I'm a fungi ignoramus):

funghi1.jpg

Then stopped for a cup of tea:

brewup.jpg

The bushbuddy doing its thing:

brewup2.jpg

And on the way back to the car found these:

sweetchestnuts.jpg

Do I wait for them to open naturally before eating them or are they good to go now? (never had the luck to beat the squirrels to them before!)

Saw a couple of fallow deer stags on the trip as well - far too far away to get a pic but pretty good through the binos.

All in all a good day out as the walk ended up taking over four hours - tomorrow I shall revise - honest!:)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice pics fella, that looks like a good way to unwind for the day.

Good luck with the exams btw, what subject are you studying ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lovely :D Thank you for sharing, and best of luck with the exams.

It's been beautiful here, and I've been stuck indoors emptying and emulsioning Son2's room :sigh:
I now know how I'm going to look in twenty years time with snow white hair :rolleyes: :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Hey - well done with studying! I've just done exams too - computing with the OU. It was my finals this time, so free forever now as my exams were this Thursday and Friday :D
That cup of tea in the woods looks just the ticket.
Good luck!

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Hey - well done with studying! I've just done exams too - computing with the OU. It was my finals this time, so free forever now as my exams were this Thursday and Friday :D
That cup of tea in the woods looks just the ticket.
Good luck!

Good luck with the results - I've got two years to go yet but the OU gets a bit addictive so I may not finish then.
gsfgaz wrote:
chilling out in the woods with the bush buddy, yi cannie beat it,, good fotees

Thanks, the tea always tastes much better out there...

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
...but I'd say that was Galerina Marginata - don't eat it, it's a little bit on the poisonous side ;)

There's a passing resemblance when young to Kuehneromyces Mutabilis apparently, which is edible. Given that G. Marginata can be fatal and K. Mutabilis isn't noted in my guide as being particularly tasty, it's just not worth the risk.

Besides - it looks pretty where it is/was.

Bearing in mind the forum I'm posting this on and the person I'm replying to, the following probably goes without saying, I'm not about to take that chance though and I saw a great disclaimer the other day regarding wild food I can plagiarize:

Rule 1: If I say something is poisonous assume I'm right.
Rule 2: If I say something is good to eat, assume I don't know what I'm talking about and that it's actually deadly poisonous.

Following these two rules will not cause you to be poisoned by my inaccurate advice.

I also mean it about not being an expert on fungi so the above is purely for interests sake - always seek the advice of a real expert when it comes to fungi.

Cheers,

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
...but I'd say that was Galerina Marginata - don't eat it, it's a little bit on the poisonous side ;)

There's a passing resemblance when young to Kuehneromyces Mutabilis apparently, which is edible. Given that G. Marginata can be fatal and K. Mutabilis isn't noted in my guide as being particularly tasty, it's just not worth the risk.

Besides - it looks pretty where it is/was.

Bearing in mind the forum I'm posting this on and the person I'm replying to, the following probably goes without saying, I'm not about to take that chance though and I saw a great disclaimer the other day regarding wild food I can plagiarize:

Rule 1: If I say something is poisonous assume I'm right.
Rule 2: If I say something is good to eat, assume I don't know what I'm talking about and that it's actually deadly poisonous.

Following these two rules will not cause you to be poisoned by my inaccurate advice.

I also mean it about not being an expert on fungi so the above is purely for interests sake - always seek the advice of a real expert when it comes to fungi.

Cheers,

Thanks for this - I wasn't going to eat it as I tend to follow your (very wise) adage regarding fungi - I must learn more about it all one day. Actually, I heard a good quote the other day regarding fungi - "all fungi are edible; some of them, unfortunately, only the once..." - can't remember where I heard it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE