Available woodland ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
N

novice

Being new to this (hence the handle) I have read this all with a great deal of interest.
My question now is how does someone like myself find out how to find woodland that we can use so that we can further our knowledge and experience . I appreaciatte that those in the know do not necessarily want their peace and quiet shattered but this sort of advice would be very helpful.
I live in an area (hants/ Wilts border) which has an abundance of varying sized woodland any help with this would be fantastic.
Also is there any where this sort of information is posted or maybe BCUK could start a listing for everyones benefit.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
You may be lucky and someone on here can point you in the right direction, or you can buy your own. Other than that it’s a case of getting the landowners permission, I’ve got the permission of a few local farmers by knocking on their doors and asking them if I can camp in their woods. I know that this isn’t something that farmers generally say yes to, but some will. You need to ask about, your friends etc, make them aware that you’ve looking for some woodland that you can spend time in; something might come down the grapevine that would be of use to you.

It’s a hard one, there’s this thing about fires in woods etc, people think that their woodlands are going to get burnt down, or chopped down…getting permission is generally on a personal basis, you might get permission but that’s not extended further to inviting other people.

You might have some luck with scout sites, although they’re often very restrictive.

You’ll find something if you keep a good look out, good luck with it.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I moved this to a more appropriate spot. It wasn't really suitable for the "BCUK Notices, Information and Special offers - Rules and Regs. bcuk information. " area :rolleyes:

Anyhow. You have struck upon what is a fairly common theme, and one that isn't particularly easy to answer, or search for within the forums. There have been a number of beginners asking similar things, and several threads have been started.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=7750&highlight=Places

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=6726&highlight=Places

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=6667&highlight=permission

In addition to the advice about locating land owners, have a think about what it is that you want to do. There are a lot of skills that can be practiced anywhere. You don't need to kindle a whole fire to practice bow drill for instance, nor do you need to actually camp out over night to figure out how to set up bashas.

If you can get permission from the landowners that is best, otherwise, get creative and think about what you can practice on a walk.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE