Autumnal Woods - pics

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Enjoyed a really special day out today in my woods with the two boys, had loads of laughs, practiced some skills and built a few things too.

Walking in

DSCN9776.jpg

First job, get a brew on of course

DSCN9779.jpg

DSCN9782.jpg

DSCN9791.jpg

Founds some "strategically" located Fox poop on the log we sit on.

DSCN9788.jpg

Then time to get building, nothing special, just a 'new' legged axe block, despite the rotten bit on the outside, the main part of the log is quite solid

DSCN9797.jpg

and a saw horse

DSCN9802.jpg

the saw horse works well and is dead easy to make

DSCN9812.jpg

DSCN9807.jpg

DSCN9832.jpg

DSCN9894.jpg

Ollie getting a brew

DSCN9817.jpg

a short time later he was back over by the fire, having a practice with his ferro rod and flint & steel.

DSCN9870.jpg

Found the remains, albeit old, but not that old, of an unauthorised fire

DSCN9874.jpg

and where somebody has been lopping trees down with an axe, leaving 4ft high stumps and the top of the trees on the ground where they fell

DSCN9876.jpg

DSCN9879.jpg

so out with the Silky and a tidy up

DSCN9884.jpg

DSCN9888.jpg

the fire site as we left it, we took all the fire dogs back to our permanent pitch and, well, used some and stashed others for future use, the whole clean up took us 15 minutes, all of the hazel poles we took back to camp and stored for future projects.

DSCN9882.jpg

I had a bit of a play with my new toy, trimmed some overhang, bit of chopping and split some fire wood

DSCN9893.jpg

while i was messing around with the knife, the boys went off and scrabbled a few Sweet Chestnuts together

DSCN9903.jpg

which we roasted in the embers of the fire, very tasty there were too.

DSCN9906.jpg

Not many Chestnuts to be found this year as the Squirrels have gone made for them because of the failure of the Acorn crop

DSCN9924.jpg

after the Chestnuts i went for a wander round just to see what i could see and take in the smells, sounds and colours of the Autumn

DSCN9921.jpg

DSCN9922.jpg

Lots of fungi around

DSCN9868.jpg

DSCN9927.jpg

DSCN9933.jpg

Looking back towards the camp

DSCN9935.jpg

DSCN9936.jpg

not long after this we called it day as i had to get back and do some prep work for work tomorrow and as the clocks have changed, the light was starting to fade as well.

Really enjoyable day out in the woods.

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Lovely pics mate :D

Pity about the unwanted guests leaving you some work though...

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looks great in the autumn. Boys look like they are having a good time as usual :)
Shame that hawthorn was cut like that. Makes a nice bow if the grain is reasonably straight, which it looked. What were they going to do with it??

Anways good times look like they were had and cant wait for my boy to play in the woods.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers guys

@ Copper Head - what was strange is, this foire and the damage was less than 20 meters from out permanent camp, which hadnt been touched, well apart from the tin we used to make charcoal had been used as an air rifle target, but that was it, ive let the land owner know so he is aware of it and can keep an eye out, i suspect it's just bored kids from the village though.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Shame that hawthorn was cut like that. Makes a nice bow if the grain is reasonably straight, which it looked. What were they going to do with it??

Anways good times look like they were had and cant wait for my boy to play in the woods.

the mind boggles doesnt it?

The Hawthorn has been safely stashed ready for a few carving projects;)

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
cheers guys

@ Copper Head - what was strange is, this foire and the damage was less than 20 meters from out permanent camp, which hadnt been touched, well apart from the tin we used to make charcoal had been used as an air rifle target, but that was it, ive let the land owner know so he is aware of it and can keep an eye out, i suspect it's just bored kids from the village though.

Yeah no burnt out stella cans or broken stubby bottles. Got to be kids...

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Looks like a nice time was had by all.
No pancakes in the picture this time though. :rolleyes:

Was a great day out Hugo, Simes especially needed to chillout, his studies are tiring him out and he needed to take a break

No pancakes today, just Sweet Chestnuts and Uncle Bens Rice:)

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have enjoyed the woodlands in autumn too. People might think me bonkers, but I have particularly enjoyed walking barefoot through the leaves and the wet mud.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE