Day Out Autumn Songs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I don’t mind the rain.
I quite like it, in fact.
What I don’t like is drizzle. Either rain or don’t rain, but don’t drizzle.
So when I got up this morning I saw it was raining, and I thought I wouldn’t let it stop me and I would go out on the North Downs for a walk.
However, up on the Downs I soon found myself in the clouds and the rain had turned into...drizzle.
It was a windy day but the cloud was low and not blowing away. It looked like a misty day but it wasn’t, it was just banks of drizzle and squally showers being repeatedly blown in by the wind.
I finally took shelter at the bottom on the Downs and got a brew on the go.
Everything was silent and then I heard a burst of song from the bushes.
A solitary robin.
The robin’s song is a loud and syllabic one and always sounds full of thought and consideration. At this time of year there are few bird songs - the robin and the wren, a thrush perhaps. I peered around my tarp and saw the little fella, it’s breast the same colour as the hips and haws, head back and beak wide open as it sang.
The robin’s song is a warning to other robins to go away and leave it along. It was just the two of us, both alone and both together. There was something humbling and moving about listening to a lone birdsong cut into the silence. The sound of Spring and life starting on a day that exemplified the end of the year. Determined not to let go even though the days are getting shorter, the leaves are falling, and the weather is getting harsher.
No surrender.

On a grey and drizzly day there was that splash of colour, enough to delight and to make the day out worth it.

48996840892_5c3bb86819_c.jpg

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Had a similar experience myself a couple of days ago. It made me stop and visually seek the little fella out. I started to whisle back and we had a lovely interaction for a short while.
It realy cheers the heart on a grey mizzly day.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Me too. I was out in the garden last night just as dusk fell, and there was a robin cheerfully singing his wee heart out. I stood in the cold mist for ages just to listen to him.
My eyes soon adjusted to the half light and you're right, Wander, his breast really was bright like the haws and the last of the rowan berries.
Then a wren started that piercing hard 'cheep, cheep, cheep' warning that across the road's cat was on the prowl, and a blackie set up it's frantic chattering at the cat too.
The Robin just stayed on it's perch in the Rowan and sung away :)

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE