autism

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

whitebeam

Sep 3, 2005
cowplain, hampshire
hi gang,

starting with an autistic group in the woods. anyone got ideas for activities. they have already done hurdles and mallets.

cheers folks.

pax vobiscum,

nicky

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
How about making charcoal small scale say a 55 gallon drum then having a BBQ fueled with there results. That can lead to talks and teaching about coppicing etc and links back to the fencing and hurdles.
Dave

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
My partner leads small groups of autistic young adults out in the woods - I'll chat to her later today and see what she suggests.

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland
I do this stuff for a living at the moment...!

I suppose it may have to do with the degree of autism. The people I work with at the moment, are deeply autistic/coupled with very challenging behavior...their vocabulary is limited to a maximum of some 25 words...or none...not even sign language.

I find that textures (tree bark, moss, sand, etc.) and walking in different types of terrain are some ways to communicate (with oneself and others) and to enhance some sort of "self perception" and feelings (emotional and body)...(?)

Some go bare-back riding on horses...also swimming...but these seem more labor intensive and costly in my opinion...compared to "off-road" activities :)

The problem is, that the guys that I work with have more or less no other ways of communicating other than grunts, whoops, puffing, biting and other acts of violence...so there really is no manual, per se...It`s more like a process of trial and error...

I find this job more worthwhile though, than any other that I`ve ever done before...however, six months from now, I`ll be changing profession.

Marko

Reactions: redcollective

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
A family member of mine is autistic and the trouble with him is that he is very fixed to patterns. If one is doing a thing he is not used too he might get a fit.
Everything has to be in order and following a pattern. One can get him to experiement, going canoing or fishing but that is work to get him used to it.
I could not imagen having a big group of them and getting something going without getting panic in the group.

cheers
Abbe

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
I used to work in this field (although not in the great outdoors) and think that repetitive actions that can be learned easily would be ideal, such as making cordage? Or possibly weaving? I think you'll find its more about the action than the finished item. To teach one thing over weeks or months is probably more appropriate than trying 6 new things every week

Its hard work as the feedback is often not there, but its also very fulfilling when one of the guys picks up a new 'habit'. You also get beautiful moments of clarity when, however briefly, you feel that they 'get' you.

I wish you all the best

janiepopps

whitebeam

Sep 3, 2005
cowplain, hampshire
well, thanks folks. worked with the group (eight adults) yesterday (before i received your ideas) and we coppiced some walking sticks and stripped the bark. then in afternoon we mapped out on the ground with pegs a site for a living willow dome which they should all be able to sit in. not best month for willow but reckon should work and provide a lovely green dome!

great group actually.

thank you again for your feedback and thoughts.

pax

nicky

steward community woodland

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE