Australian Hootchie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Green Dweller Beloved

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2007
Hampshire
Hi,

I'm in the market for a tarp and have seen that Mr Mears recommends an Australian Hootchie. I saw one of these recently go for £56 off eBay.

My question is, what make these tarps so special?
Are they really worth that money?

There's a fox basha on eBay at present for £33. Surely a Australian Hootchie can't be that much better?

Thanks

GDB

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I read at one UK online store that the price has risen soo much that they no longer desire to stock them.

They do seem to have more loops around the edges than most tarps, wether that justifies the extra expense or its just the fact its "Mr Mears Tarp", I dunno.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
GDB

Its like many things, it is good - I had had one several years. Just big enough and I mean just - but then do have to carry it. I think arguable whether at £65 ish it represents value for money over say a MOD issue DPM tarp - in proper good condition - at say £30. If I ever get one that doesnt look like a Challenger 2 tank 'grunt crunched' over it, I'll revert!

Most of Ray's direct stuff is at a price, maybe it is all in the name. However, I've not had anything duff from him, so could take view that you are paying for the endorsement.

Then again few can beat the pound value from the Magikelly specials on here! The Tatonka tarp from the last group buy is my choice 97% of the time now.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have 2 of them and they are very nice indeed... they have webbing all around the edge giving security and loads of attachment loops. Also, they popper together to make a large single undercover area.

I usually use my 4m x 3m tatonka though I must confess the auscam is much more pleasing to the eye than plain green or british dpm.

The only thing to check is that you're happy with the size.

Cheers,

Joe

Hi,

There's a fox basha on eBay at present for £33. Surely a Australian Hootchie can't be that much better?

Thanks

GDB

What you will find regarding Mr Mears use of the Hootchie is that for him it is the historical aesthetics of these that outway the more practical uses of other tarps. During the Vietnam war the Australian Army were the first to issue lightweight tarp shelters that were bigger than a GI poncho and lighter than canvas pup tents and more practical to use with a frames, that they became so much sought after by normal GI's that they became an almost unofficial currency at one point. In light of this these became used more widely right up until the UK and other forces started issueing basha's.

I think the uk basha is far better, I paid £20 for it new, you just have to shop around.
The uk make much bigger tarps in the same material but they are very hard to get a hold of. I'm not sure if the US issue them or not but most European countries do. the French one is easy to get a hold of.

Like Squidders I have two hootchies one Auscam and one olive green.

They are lightweight and as Squidders has already said attach to each other real easy.

I find that with the group buy hammocks that the hootchies are a little on the short side when it rains as the driprings are not covered by the tarp. I've had to tie a figure of eight knot in my hammock before to decrease its length ( I put two shor lengths of cut hazel into the 8 to stop it pulling too tight :cool: )

Generally they are pretty good and with a guy line at each corner only weigh 575g

Phil.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I have a couple of the Aussie hootchies and I think they are excellent items. I like the loops, the sturdy construction and they are about the perfect size. Also, they can be snapped together for a larger tarp if desired.
I actually bought mine from the manufacturer in Australia and they were very inexpensive compared to other sources, particularly UK sources.
This is the link:
http://www.combatclothing.com.au/index2.html

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
Hi all,
It's been a long time since my last post but I am back now....

Anyway back to the question at hand, I have used a hootchie for a number of years now (9.5 yrs Regular Army) it is a really good piece of kit if it is set up right and a pain in the back paddock if not.

I have used hootchies from Australia, shelter sheets from n
New Zealand, a poncho from the US and a UK basha, of all of them I would recommend the Aussie hootchie, its bigger, has more tie down loops which are better placed, it allows more natural light in (day and night) due to the light colour, can be clipped together on all four sides to form a huge "tarjmahootch" if need be or a simple tube tent if you want and if you have one of the issued mozzie nets it will tie into the hootchie too (there are little grommets on the ends for that reason).
I have used them in all sorts of weather and terrain from tropical jungles of north Queensland and SE Asia to the snow caped peaks of the Victorian alps and have never had any problems with getting wet,(unless you touch the sides.. but that is a whole other kettle of fish) then again... I am rather short too (168 cm).:D

Any way that is my two bob on that.. I hope this helps some...

Cheers, Karl

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
I'm very pleased with my Hootchie, for many of the reasons you mention, Karl.

I was wondering if the Auscam Poncho could be attached to the Hootchie to make a larger shelter?

Best regards,
Paul.

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
I'm very pleased with my Hootchie, for many of the reasons you mention, Karl.

I was wondering if the Auscam Poncho could be attached to the Hootchie to make a larger shelter?

Best regards,
Paul.

Hey Greenman,

Yes the hootchie is a great bit of kit, but I dont know about the poncho though... coz we dont have a poncho issued to us, but I will admit that the aussie hootchie dosent like to be attatched to anything but its own kind, even the slightly older green hootchie wont attach to it, only coz its smaller :D , the studs dont line up...:eek:
but if you would like to try it and let me know that would be great.

Cheers Karl

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
...coz we dont have a poncho issued to us...

G’day, Templar,

That’s interesting, why not, I wonder :confused:

Well, rather than ‘spring’ for the Poncho on the off-chance, I’ve emailed the supplier that wizard gives in post #7. Although they imply that they are the manufacturer, my Hootchie, as supplied by RM, is made by a company called Robco Products, they have a site (www.robcoproducts.com.au), but it doesn’t yield much information. I’m not suggesting that Combat Clothing doesn’t manufacture the Hootchie and Poncho (it could be one of those complicated contractual/ownership company structures), but this kind of, apparently, conflicting information usually causes me pause for thought.

Anyway, if I get a reply to my email, I’ll let you know what they say. Despite the above, even if they don’t attach to the Hootchie, I might just buy a Poncho anyway, ‘cus they look damned versatile:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t179/B3xIq7/ponchoshelter.gif

Best regards,
Paul.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I have tried a few basha's and in the end settled for 2 Australian Hootchie.
1 green heavy weight and 1 aus cam light weight.
They are the best combination of weight, size and strength that i have used and if that costs a bit more then it's worth it IMO, that said the Mears name is keeping prices high so shop around and you can still pick up a bargain.
If anyone is looking for a green hootchie drop me a PM.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Like Squidders I have two hootchies one Auscam and one olive green.

They are lightweight and as Squidders has already said attach to each other real easy.

I find that with the group buy hammocks that the hootchies are a little on the short side when it rains as the driprings are not covered by the tarp. I've had to tie a figure of eight knot in my hammock before to decrease its length ( I put two shor lengths of cut hazel into the 8 to stop it pulling too tight :cool: )

Generally they are pretty good and with a guy line at each corner only weigh 575g

Phil.

You tried setting up the tarp in a 'diamond' shape instead of the usual square? The points of the diamond will just about cover the unused ends of the hammock while still leaving you enough room in the middle for yourself.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
G’day, Templar,

Well, rather than ‘spring’ for the Poncho on the off-chance, I’ve emailed the supplier that wizard gives in post #7. Although they imply that they are the manufacturer, my Hootchie, as supplied by RM, is made by a company called Robco Products, they have a site (www.robcoproducts.com.au), but it doesn’t yield much information. I’m not suggesting that Combat Clothing doesn’t manufacture the Hootchie and Poncho (it could be one of those complicated contractual/ownership company structures), but this kind of, apparently, conflicting information usually causes me pause for thought.

Anyway, if I get a reply to my email, I’ll let you know what they say. Despite the above, even if they don’t attach to the Hootchie, I might just buy a Poncho anyway, ‘cus they look damned versatile:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t179/B3xIq7/ponchoshelter.gif

Best regards,
Paul.

I have read on here befor that the woodlore hootchie is a copy and not the ones issued
by the oz army.
This is just what i have read so be gentle with me.

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
G’day, Templar,

Best regards,
Paul.

Hey Paul,

We dont get issued a poncho because we get a set of G-Tex type things, top and bottoms, we dont wear them much though, they are real noisy and glow in the dark :eek:
the only people who tend to wear them are either really new or the pogues in the rear with the gear...:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: !!!!!!!!!

Anyway I digress,
we used to get a thing called a "Japara" jacket a crazy plastic thing that makes you sweat more than anything, think sauna suit, and before that was the "Jacket psycological" a very light nylon spray type jacket that goes back to our days in 'Nam and as the name implies it did nothing at all unless you believed it did...

Now as for the Hootchie, the only way to set it up with out getting wet is to practice doing it a few different ways until you find the one that works for you, the book says,

(1) that it should be set up as a two man "pup" tent style, i,e: ridge line and peged to the ground. This is great for cadets mybe but not so good out in the world of live action, there is no room under it for two fully grown adults and all your kit too.
(2) as a low level lean-to, low level read about knee height...
(3) tube tent
(4) the "busted" Square, set it up flat at about waist height then take one corner and peg it down to the ground, place your cups canteen steel under the corner to collect any rain water that may fall. this one is good for all round visability.
(4) the mini A frame, used with a Hammock or if you are anti social and need your privacy in the field
(5) the Grave, dig a trench just big enough to lie down flat in and about one E-tool deep, add a small vestibule at the far end for your pack and you have a shelter that will keep you out of the wind and the heat of the sun too,but we mostly use this one up in the alps during Alpine survival training.

Essential kit for all of this is about 4 ocky straps (bungies I believe you Brits call 'em), long ones, and 6 pegs if you want to peg a corner down, I say 6 because during bug outs you tend to leave them stuck in the ground :rolleyes:
We dont use ridge lines, we just make the whole thing as taught as we can with the ockies and sleep under it, if you do it propperly then you wont get wet...

Cheers for now,

Karl :umbrella:

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
I have read on here befor that the woodlore hootchie is a copy and not the ones issued by the oz army.This is just what i have read so be gentle with me.

Very interesting, swagman. Thank you. I might email Woodlore too!

...We dont get issued a poncho because we get a set of G-Tex type things, top and bottoms, we dont wear them much though, they are real noisy and glow in the dark :eek: the only people who tend to wear them are either really new or the pogues in the rear with the gear...:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: !!!!!!!!!

I understand that the generic 'gortex' used by the army here, is a source of some contention, and the IR signature somewhat problematic. And when the s*it starts to fly, then 'in the rear with the gear' is definitely the place to be :D

...and before that was the "Jacket psycological" a very light nylon spray type jacket that goes back to our days in 'Nam and as the name implies it did nothing at all unless you believed it did...

:lmao:

Thanks, Karl.

Best regards,
Paul.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Hi again GDB,

See attached link for the tarp I favour. Post number five on the thread. Bigger than most, with plenty of room for two and a reasonable amount of kit, or almost palacial for one geezer solo!

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13845&highlight=usmc

Hi,

I'm in the market for a tarp and have seen that Mr Mears recommends an Australian Hootchie. I saw one of these recently go for £56 off eBay.

Thanks

GDB

Green Dweller Beloved

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2007
Hampshire
Sorry I forgot I posted this question:11doh:
Thanks for your help guys, some good points made.
I'm kind of thining the Hootchie is maybe a bit small (and expensive)

Cheers

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
I’ve just received a reply to my email enquiry, from Combat Clothing.

They confirm that two Auscam Hootchies can be connected together to make an enlarged shelter, as indeed can two Auscam Ponchos (as we knew), but unfortunately a Hootchie can’t be attached to a Poncho to make an enlarged shelter.

Which is a pity, as I really liked the versatility of a Hootchie/Poncho combination.

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Received a reply from WL yesterday, to my enquiry about the WL Hootchie. It seems that indeed isn’t the same version as that issued to the Australian army, as swagman mentioned earlier in the thread. The WL version is a special commission made to their specifications.

I’ve asked what the differences in specification are between the two versions, and will let the forum know if the reply contains any useful or interesting information.

Best regards,
Paul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE