Hootchie Coochie man

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

marty marty

Dec 2, 2015
United Kingdom
anyone know anything about the australian hootchie/tarp, or their surplus supply chain generally. I might have the oppurtunity to have one brought back from Oz, but am finding the finding of one a bit tricky.
in terms of what its for, ive been umming and arring over a DD-tarp for a while but put it off. then i saw a Dutch DPM poncho in BMJ's endless list of toys and thought...hmmm. thatd probably do me (especially at the price he claims to have paid for it - not that i can find one at the same price). and then it occurred to me I have family travelling back from brisbane, and a spot of Auscam might be novel.

So i looked for a poncho - dont seem to exist, and then drifted on to the Hootchie, and , as a perceived quality indicator, looked for genuine issue - and it hasnt really been working out. I HAVE found a variety of new ones, with that dubious title "military spec"

one company, when asked is theirs was genuine issue state that they manufacture theirs for the AFD, so what do you think dumbass? or words extremely close to that effect. bit dubious as i cant see any ridge line loops, and the HH is 1500mm. I can see others all at variations of weight around 500-600g and 1500-2000hh, and none of them close to the weights of Uncle Rays rather eye-wateringly priced version. the other version def has loops along the ridge, and I have emailed the first company asking, because, well Im intrigued as to just how gruff the answers will get if i persevere. I might try asking him what he is wearing next....

if anyone has the one from Uncle rays website - does it have any kind of manufacturers mark that might steer my search? thanks chaps

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I got one from uncle ray with my eco sleep hammock many years ago and also bought a random olive green one from a surplus shop in oz.....apart from the colour they were exactly the same if that helps

Tbh though i would either buy a cheapy from DD or something much lighter than the hootchie in silnylon

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Once upon a time the Aussie issue one used to be advertised as being about a foot longer than the British Basha and slightly narrower......However, there are so many knockoffs and as mentioned 'military spec' ones around now the measurements are any bodies guess. They were originally 'I believe' approx. 9' x 5.5'.

D.B.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
To my mind, the original aussie hootchi's have acquired legend status because they were so much better than anything else for years, but in the last 10 - 15 years there are now a myriad of alternative options that are just as good, it's just the reputation persists.

Unless you particularly like the idea of wearing it, don't go for a poncho - they are generally a little on the small side to sleep under (although i did for years). DD tarps are absolutely fine, as are the standard british army basha available from the likes of ebay (albeit as mentioned, the latter is a touch shorter/wider and a little heavier).

marty marty

Dec 2, 2015
United Kingdom
heres the offending article. TBH the tarp requirement fell off my list of immediate "need" to buy kit, but the opportunity to have something a bit different sort of popped up (plus i have a bit of a crush on auscam). from what i can work out, there are 2 type of oz hootch - lightweight, and heavy weight. uncle rays would be the heavy weight(900) and this would be the lightweight (5-600g). as i say the seller claims to supply the ADF. whoever they are.

http://www.kitbag.com.au/products/Auscam-Hoochie.html

marty marty

Dec 2, 2015
United Kingdom
odd. last reply didnt appear! this is what im looking at (we make em for the ADF...) http://www.kitbag.com.au/products/Auscam-Hoochie.html
the link above, when emailed with the same question, replied with "only governments can aford mil spec". im finding the whole thing quite amuzing

Hmmm...same picture as the one that "manufactured them for the ADF" but this lists as 2000 hh. Hmmmm. I wonder about their trade desciptins act! This was closer for the visiting rellies, and is winging its way home.

http://www.acqm.com.au/CatalogueRet...archID=9172712&ObjectID=5678867&ObjectType=27

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE