Aurora Borealis

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Unfortunately, No. It can be seen I believe from some of the islands off the north of Scotland, but down in England I've never heard of it being visible.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
there has been at least one siteing in devon which have heard of, but i think they are extreamly rare this far south, they occour some times in scotland i believe!

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Not in UK of course, but while the wife and I were living in So. Lake Tahoe, Ca., at 6250' elevation in the Sierra Nevada mountains, we were able to see it faintly one moonless evening. At least, we believe it was the AB. It sure did act and look like it was.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I was reliably informed that they were visible from Wales on one night last spring (IIRC) by an avid astrologer friend - though they only appeared as a very feint green glow in the extreme distance.

:confused:

Ogri the trog

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
i've been lucky enough to see a couple of spectacular displays in scotland, both quite different but equally beautiful. I nearly dismissed it the first, and most dramatic time because of a small amount of light pollution from street lights, but even a short distance away from the lights we realised that the night sky was filled with light, like a huge umbrella of shifting, cascading colours, it was quite amazing and unlike anything i had ever seen before, hard to describe and certainly unforgettable.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've seen them, the dancers, quite a few times in Scotland, but the light pollution of the central belt really gets in the way.

Cheers,
Toddy

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Ahhh... brings back memories of the walk home from the pub past Pittodrie singing (well, shouting) :aargh4:

"The Northern Lights of Auld Aberdeen <hic> :beerchug: mean home shweet home to mee... <hic> :beerchug: "

Actually saw them there a couple of times - beautiful!

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Several years ago I had the Northern Lights pointed out to me on a lovely summer night by a know-it-all in a hilltop bar/ club. Even tho I'd had a few drinks I knew that 1) We were facing south, 2) the south of France has a pretty remote chance of seeing the Lights and 3) there was an autoroute just over the horizon. Didn't say anything just wandered back to the real world... :rolleyes:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Even if there is no visual aurora, the ionisation is often there - radio amateurs use it to bounce signals off. It is quite odd - you point your antenna north, and you can contact stations in Scandinavia who are east of you and also beaming north.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Back in about 1990/91 A friend & I saw a spactacular Aurora that spanned the whole sky, from the greenish 'curtains' near the horizon to the boiling clouds right above us, even a large white strak that morphed around about halfway up the sky.

The most staggering thing I ever saw. We were on the hill road between Banbury & Hook Norton in Oxfordshire at around 9.30 at night - I can't remember what time of year though it was dark so not summer.

We tried to wave down some of the passing cars because nobody was noticing it - they all just kept driving - despit us pointing to the sky - they probably just thought we were mad :rolleyes:

If I hadn't looked out of the sunroof we might not have noticed iether because the lower parts of it looked like the glow of a distant town or something - I knew the road & realised we were too far away for it to be Banbury.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
About the same time, 1990(1), a friend of mine and I were driving back from Toronto and he mentioned that he would like me to notify him if I ever saw the Aurora. Well I waited till we got out of TO before showing him the Aurora that had just appeared as if on cue. It lasted at least 7+ hours till we stoped for the night along the way home. All he could say was WAaaaaHhhhhhhhh........
CG :yo:

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
I have been lucky enough to see "aurora australis" (southern lights) whilst working for the British Antarctic Survey at Halley research station in 1995/96.
pictures can't describe the beauty of it :)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I was staggering back from the pub one night when I saw lights of different colours dancing in the sky, I was convinced that it was the northern lights come down south, but now I reckon it was some sort of lasers being used at a party somewhere. I did see them, I did..............Jon

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
The lasers used for celebrations go a long way. A few weeks ago I saw odd lights lighting up the clouds. I later heard that it was lasers celebrating the opening of Perth concert hall - 13 miles away.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
I live pretty far North in Scotland and we see them pretty regularly.

Watched them for about an hour from the garden about a month or so ago - no light pollution where I live meant they were really pretty bright.

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE