Auricula judae (jews ear)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
i have found what i think to be jews ear and i am wondering is their any way to confuse it with other fungi cause i only saw it for a minute or 2 before i got into edible plants and fungi and in the books i have it seems to be auricula judae but could it be confused with any posinous ones of its family :wink:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It can be confused with some other fungi so do take care with the ID. Jew's ear tends to be stretchy like rubber and the others are more brittle, but this is an experience thing so it is worth a bit of practise :wink:

They do need to be cooked well to get them as edible as possible.

Make sure that you invest in a good guide, maybe even a couple.

Good eating

:biggthump

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
Jews ear grows usually on dead wood, espessially elder. The underside is pinkish and the upper brown. It is rubbery and soft when your. If you know all this it is not easy to confuse. If you dry it, it keeps well and can be carried around although it will be tough.

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Jews Ear may not be called so for much longer! A group of mycologists are currently discussing the renaming of up to 200 UK fungi to make this particular group 'more accessible' to the general public (currently, many fungi do not possess an English / common name).

Jews Ear may be renamed 'Jelly Ear' !! - seriously!

Bob :-D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
You're dead right that they have new English names for fungi. The list of 200 names was compiled in the 60's, the new list is made up of 1,000 fungi species. :super:

The whole idea is that people will find it easier to remember common names rather than Latin names. It's a good idea as it will create a common ground for all to use. I would say that it is also good to know the Latin names as well if possible, it opens up the natural world allowing for an understanding of how things are related etc. :biggthump

Have a look here for information
http://www.britmycolsoc.org.uk/news/shownews.asp?NewsID=59

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
So Tone, have you eaten them?

Anyone else?

It's a fungi i see a lot of but have been put off eating them from my previous bad experience. But if someone has a good recipe to recommend I might give it another go...

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
A penny for the first person to recognise where Adamscott2's quote came from........... Food for Free! Now who deserves the :ekt: :rolleyes: :-?.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Stew said:
So Tone, have you eaten them?

Anyone else?

It's a fungi i see a lot of but have been put off eating them from my previous bad experience. But if someone has a good recipe to recommend I might give it another go...
It's ok, I plan on trying it a few more times over the next few months. I've never dried it though.

Try this

Wash them really well in a few changes of water, cook well. Make a sauce up using Cream, onions, garlic, basil and very finely sliced Jews Ear. It's ok with toast and I suspect it would be ok with pastry sort of stuff.

I have not had it while I have been out and about, never been hungry enough! But the more we learn about the edibles around us the more choice there will be if we do need to eat it.

Give it another go, start off in your kitchen and try a few things.

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
I dont really want to eat it but next time i find it ill dry it the eat a little bit and i hope i dont get sick :oops: but i suppose ill do it for youse :wink: has anyone ever actually eaten survival food like when they went on camp or somthing did the look around for wild food and catch animals? if so was it nice :?:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE