attempt at a spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ian H

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2009
South Wales
Well went on my first solo trip last night, got there nice and early to set up my tarp for the first time (ALOT easier than i though, dunno why i thought it would be hard though) anyways, was collecting a load of fire wood and got tired so sat down for a bit, took one bit of wood to start shaving it so i had something to start a fire in the rain, anyways i started getting carried away and ended up making a spoon :D

Here it is:

sadly i used a bit of straight wood as i didnt intend to actually make a spoon! but i thought it was quite good for a first attempt and only cut myself once (woohoo!) just needs to be finished now, a bit of sanding and it should look ok.

Very relaxing to do though and found it alot easier than i though i would. Although i must admit from looking at half a log its hard to work out where to cut first to make the shape.

I used my cheapy axe from focus, mora clipper and spooning knife (knew it would be handy to have in my kit!)

next time i think i'll go for a spoon i can use, more like a tea spoon than a stiring spoon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Welcome to the slippery slope of spooning. Once you get that first one out of the way it can go one of two ways. You either burn it on your next outing and draw a line under any more spoon carving in the future, or you can't stop yourself and spend the rest of your life looking for that perfectly formed branch for the next project.

Good luck and great first effort.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE