Attaching metal to metal

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Hi all, I bought a stainless steel biscut tin that I want use as a billy can, I also bought so brass brackets so I could attach a wire to them. The brakets have 2 holes in them and I was going to use rivets to attach them, but I can't seem to drill through the stainless steel, please help!! Are there any alternatives?!
cheers
WIll

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
well, the other alternative would be to braze the two pieces together. However, why is it you're not able to drill through the stainless? It is a lot harder than mild steel, but you should still be able to get through it eventually (tho it may knacker your drill bit).

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
There will some experts along shortly hopefully with some alternatives. SS is a swine to drill but as far as I understand a good method, which worked for me, is;
  • use a punch or something to mark the spot, stops the drill skating too much
  • support the back of where you will be drilling (you'll be leaning on it)
  • start with a small drill and work up to the size you need
  • lean very heavily
  • set the drill to run super slow, nope even slower than that ;)
cheers,

Alan

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The other option is to drive a punch through and then tidy the hole with the drill.

I`ll second that Gary, if you feel like you`re not getting anywhere Will sometimes it`s just easier to punch it right through and then make good and straighten up afterwards. I`ve lost count of how many bits I`ve snapped trying to hand drill SS.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Mark the spot with a punch,a nail is good.Then use a MASONRY drill at medium speed.Don't use a hammer drill.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Mark the spot with a punch,a nail is good.Then use a MASONRY drill at medium speed.Don't use a hammer drill.

Hi Will,

You need a sharp/new wood/metal drill bit and use a pillar drill don't try and do it by hand. Punch it first then use some form on lubricant (light oil or paraffin) ideally a cutting fluid like Rocol RTD, use a medium speed with steady force and you should get through it but don't let the drill bit over heat as this will only blunt it. (Trust me I'm and Engineer:))

A Masonry bit has no cutting edge so will only wear its way through.

Why do you need brackets, if you've got two holes can you not use these for the wire?

Richard

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
if you stuff the tin tight with rolled up newspapers, then you can use a punch on the flexy end, and with a punched mark and plenty of pressure on drill, its not too hard

Theres probably better ways, but that worked for me

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Some good advice here, but if you are still struggling, post it to me, or drop it off if out this way and i'll do it for you.

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
HI all, Well thanks for the advice, managed to get through it not problem, problem is now the rivets are rubbish, just couldn't get them tight enough and couldn't get the punch onto them properly because the holes were too far from the edge, So now I have a can with 4 holes in (2 opposite each other) about 8mm in diameter each, any idea how I can finish it off????

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Get a bit of fence wire and make your own loops. push the wire through the holes and twist and flatten it on the inside of the billy, making sure your loops on the outside are long enough to bend up to form your bail attachments.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Try cobalt drills none of the cheap junk, they will last longer, failing that you are onto some seriously expensive ceramic drills that would likley be dearer than the project.

The advice from chainsaw is bang on, maybe a bit cutting fluid as well

BossCat

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2008
Scotland
Drilling SS?
We all know how hard this can be, and we all know that your going to knacker up any drill bits you use. What I done to drill an SS tin. Was once the drill bit was blunt just keep going with harder pressure on the drill. Eventually your drill bit and tin will glow red hot thus weakening the tin and the drill will pop through.

I'll probably need to find a better way of drilling an SS Ice Bucket when it arrives as I plan to make a woodgas stove out of it.

Tom

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester

A masonry drill is for stone and as such isnt very sharp (its also made to be used on the hammer setting). I think you want a "metal" bit mate, and take your drill off the hammer setting.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Hi Will,

You need a sharp/new wood/metal drill bit and use a pillar drill don't try and do it by hand. Punch it first then use some form on lubricant (light oil or paraffin) ideally a cutting fluid like Rocol RTD, use a medium speed with steady force and you should get through it but don't let the drill bit over heat as this will only blunt it. (Trust me I'm and Engineer:))

A Masonry bit has no cutting edge so will only wear its way through.

Why do you need brackets, if you've got two holes can you not use these for the wire?

Richard

What he said, well pretty much, you need a good quality drill that's good and sharp (brand new's best) - if your drill only has one speed keep pressing and releasing the trigger, press hard and don't let it get hot, any lubricant will help - even water! I'm no expert (though I used to be a welder / fabricator) but from what I've heard, if the drill's not removing any metal - i.e. it's just spinning, even just briefly! it "work hardens" the stainless and it's a pig to drill then! Which isn't funny when you want a hole in a perticular place!

pwb

HI all, Well thanks for the advice, managed to get through it not problem, problem is now the rivets are rubbish, just couldn't get them tight enough and couldn't get the punch onto them properly because the holes were too far from the edge, So now I have a can with 4 holes in (2 opposite each other) about 8mm in diameter each, any idea how I can finish it off????

On re-reading your post 8mm is quite a large hole to rivet.
You might be better using bolts, cut to size they would look quite tidy. Glad you managed the holes :) , stainless is a real pain ;) .

Pete.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
There's a difference of opinion on using masonry bit for stainless.
A masonry bit is made from harder steel than an HSS bit because stone is harder than steel (try an HSS bit on a house brick) masonry bits do have a point and a cutting edge and will last a lot longer thanan HSS bit.They are also suitable for glass and ceramics.
They dont have to be used with a hammer drill unless you are going through some really hard stone ,it gives an indication of strength and sharpness that you can hammer them whilst drilling and they still don'tget blunt or break.
Another situation where a mosonry tool is better than a steel tool is disc cutters, a masonry disc will cut steel but a steel disc will not cut masonry.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
There's a difference of opinion on using masonry bit for stainless.
A masonry bit is made from harder steel than an HSS bit because stone is harder than steel (try an HSS bit on a house brick) masonry bits do have a point and a cutting edge and will last a lot longer thanan HSS bit.They are also suitable for glass and ceramics.
They dont have to be used with a hammer drill unless you are going through some really hard stone ,it gives an indication of strength and sharpness that you can hammer them whilst drilling and they still don'tget blunt or break.
Another situation where a mosonry tool is better than a steel tool is disc cutters, a masonry disc will cut steel but a steel disc will not cut masonry.

I disagree. Might just be a matter of opinion, but most masonry bits are not sharp. They don't cut through masonry like a metal cutting bit cuts through steel, or a woodcutting bit cuts through wood. The latter two take off shavings whereas the masonry bit almost chisels and wears its way through instead, which is why they work best when using a hammer drill. While you can wear through steel, it's faster, better for the steel and better for the drill bit to use a good quality metal cutting bit.

Also, you really don't want to drill too hot - a sharp bit and a slow speed will go faster than a blunt bit at a high speed trying to wear through!

My 2 cents anyway ;)
Atb
Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE