Atlatl at the bushmoot

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I am delighted to say that we are planning a workshop on atlatls (throwing sticks) at the moot this summer. The provisional plan is to make up some atlatls, make some minor modifications to some canes to become darts, do a bit of intensive practice, and culminate in an accuracy contest (with large targets!)

I am putting stuff together for this at the moment and I am just wondering if people interested in this might indicate here. No commitment, and no fees, just a rough guide so I can get some idea how much stuff to bring.

Oh, yes. For the contest it is fun if everyone who enters contributes some item to the prizes on offer. Doesn't have to be much. So, you might bring something you would be happy to give away.

Here's how its done.
thrower1-l.jpg

Here's the ideal throwing kit
altlatl4.jpg

And here is how it used to be done
AtlatlRockPetroglyphs.jpg

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Oh aiye. I used to make these as a kid and tried to make one a few months ago with limited success - it didn't work nearly as well as the ones from years ago. So yes, I'm up for a go.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I think I'd be up for a pop at this Rich.
I can bring some bamboo canes if you give me an idea of how long you'd like!

ATB

Ogri the trog
Great. 8 ft is what I would recommend, although others recommend 6 ft. I'm bringing quite a few canes anyway but I don't know how many we will need. So anyone who can bring (and take away) a few canes would be a help.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Just a couple of practical notes to anyone bringing some canes. The best canes are significantly thinner and more flexible at one end (perhaps half the diameter of the thick end?). Any canes that are fairly uniform in thickness at both ends could be counted as duds.

Straightness is not too crucial, and it is fairly straightforward to bend them straight with heat.

Newer springier (but not green) are also the better ones in general.

6 - 8 foot probably the best lengths (as already discussed).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE