Aternative for Mangers Methylated Spirit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 24, 2007
Netherlands
Hi,

I have used Mangers Methylated Spirit for my coke can stove when bushcrafting in England.
Was wondering if there is an cheaper alternative for that type of fuel. In Holland I pay 80 Euro cents for one litre of alcohol for my stove’s and Mangers is 3 Pounds for half a litre. Does any one know of any alterative spirits? Many thanks, John

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Hi,
Well I use straight methanol that i buy for about £12 for 25L!!
Now you have to decide if you concider that a suitable fuel or not.
Some wil tell you that it is toxic etc etc etc dont use it.
Others like myself have a dif approach and concider ALL fuels toxic and should be treated with the same respect.
If you want to buy some look on ebay for methanol sold for making biodiesel.
Find the nearest to you as they dont ( usually) deliver.
Alan

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
http://www.agwoodcare.co.uk/gbu0-prodshow/methylated_spirits.html

...is about the cheapest I can google.

If you're buying smaller quantities, it's well worth buying them from the local hardware shop, particularly if they keep it on a high shelf which requires the shopkeeper to use a ladder to get it down. Once said shopkeep hands it to you, screw your face up in a mock grimace and say: "Euch, warm, I couldn't have a cold one could I?"

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thats cheap. I pay about £12 for 5 lt at trade price from Crown Decorator centres.

RE; Methanol- It will work but has a much lower heating value than meths.

http://www.agwoodcare.co.uk/gbu0-prodshow/methylated_spirits.html

...is about the cheapest I can google.

If you're buying smaller quantities, it's well worth buying them from the local hardware shop, particularly if they keep it on a high shelf which requires the shopkeeper to use a ladder to get it down. Once said shopkeep hands it to you, screw your face up in a mock grimace and say: "Euch, warm, I couldn't have a cold one could I?"

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Thats cheap. I pay about £12 for 5 lt at trade price from Crown Decorator centres.

RE; Methanol- It will work but has a much lower heating value than meths.

Whilst true, I have never found that to be a problem.
The biggest problem i have found is knowing how to use an alcohol burner efficiently.
The trouble with gas/petrol/etc is that they basically throw loads of btu's at the pan. The majority of whichh do not transfer to the food/water.
If they did then you would only need them on for less then a min!
When I first got an alcohol stove (etite 2 from tinny), I tried it and it didnt even warm the water.
I thought ' What a load of junk!'
How wrong I was. It took time, but now I boil water, cook meals and bake cakes all using alcohol stoves.
They are (IMHO) great stoves. NOT fast but hey if you want that then get a jetboil!
But they are enjoyable to use.
Meths in th eUK can have (by law) up to 10% water and (again IMHO) a high amount of 'nasties'.
Pure methanol is just that.
Dangerous if used wrongly (but so is petrol etc), but consistant and predicable.
Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE