Astronomy and Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
Being an avid amauteur Astronomer and bushcrafter, I found that I could combine the two hobbies I really enjoy, quite easily. I have the excuse to get out into the countryside and explore nature and then as darkness falls observe the skies to see what I can see. I usually only take a small pair of bino's, as anything else is bulking up the weight. This gives me time to actually take stock of astronomy. Us astronomers are all usually waving large telescopes up at the sky, attached with numerous electronic devices to improve the viewing, but out in the wilderness, I can just sit beneath a tree (usually in the HH without the tarp) and just look up and really appreciate the heavens. Are there any other closet astronomer/bushcrafters out there??

On another note I found this interesting article regarding the possible fate of astronomy and climate change.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4755996.stm

Makes you wonder..........

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Lardbloke,

Count me as the bushcrafter/astronomer. Like you say there is nothing better than being away from all the light pollution with a set of binos and appreciating the sky. I usually take a russian monocular with an interchangeable 50mm and 70 mm objective giving me 12 or 20 magnification, which I find ideal for looking at clusters, galaxies and the odd planet once the fire has died down. It makes observing alot more simple than setting up my 6 inch reflector.

Cheers

JFW

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
Is the monocular blue in colour by any chance??
I think my old man has a similar one. He used to use it as a spotting scope when target shooting. We tried to get the lenses cleaned but would have to send it away back to Russia for cleaning, whats the chances of getting it back??
I usually use a GSO 10" Dob at home (along with a ETX70at for guiding etc) and it makes a fantastic change to just use the old eyes, none of that straining to pull out any extra detail.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
I don't have anything as cool as a Dobsonian, just a basic 6" newtonian I picked up several years ago from a junk shop for a fiver. The mirror really needs re-silvering, but apart from that, not bad.

My 10x30 bins are always to hand.

A good test of your eyesight...can you a: visualise the Andromeda Galaxy without bins and b: split the double star on the handle of the "big dipper" (Ursa Major) without magnifying aids?

Oh! in answer to you question, yes I am a closet astronomer...(but don't tell anyone ;) )

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Not sure I could call myself an astronomer, as I don't have the optics... But I'm very interested in the sky, and it's a big motivation for getting out of the city. I keep thinking about getting a 'scope or some binocs, but then I remember that you can barely see the Pleiadies 'round here...

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
stovie said:
A good test of your eyesight...can you a: visualise the Andromeda Galaxy without bins and b: split the double star on the handle of the "big dipper" (Ursa Major) without magnifying aids?

I think it always depends on hwo much light pollution exists in your area. If I get out in the back garden (we are pretty rural up here) then the skies are semi dark and after a bit of dark adaptation, the eyes can resolve the odd star but that is all. If I go up the road, about a ten minutes walk, to the mother-in-laws land, then I can see much more. Not sure about Andromeda and Binaries though....

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Another good test is how many seperate stars you can identify in the Pleiades... Unfortunately, the whole cluster is just a blur to my unaided eyes.

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
gregorach said:
Not sure I could call myself an astronomer, as I don't have the optics... But I'm very interested in the sky, and it's a big motivation for getting out of the city. I keep thinking about getting a 'scope or some binocs, but then I remember that you can barely see the Pleiadies 'round here...

You do have the optics, they are your eyes. Just get out of the city, about half an hours drive into the country and you should have lovely dark sky's out there, you could always get into the Bathgate hills for remote'ness.

I would suggest getting a pair of binoculars or a minocular anyway, just for observing wildlife and the like.

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
gregorach said:
Another good test is how many seperate stars you can identify in the Pleiades... Unfortunately, the whole cluster is just a blur to my unaided eyes.

Anything past eight is good in most peoples book. My eyesight is too poor for that and usually end up with eyestrain.......

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
lardbloke said:
You do have the optics, they are your eyes. Just get out of the city, about half an hours drive into the country and you should have lovely dark sky's out there, you could always get into the Bathgate hills for remote'ness.

I would suggest getting a pair of binoculars or a minocular anyway, just for observing wildlife and the like.

Well, I'd call that stargazing rather than astronomy as such.. :) You'd be suprised (or perhaps not) at how badly the light pollution from Edinburgh affects the seeing round here. Sure, once you get up into the hills it seems dark, especially after being in the city, but when you go somewhere that's really dark, you realise just how bad it is... And half an hour's drive is a bit more of a problem if you don't have a car. ;)

As for optics, yeah, I've been meaning to get some for ages. But a purchase like that involves a lot of research, and I haven't quite managed to get around to it... One of these days.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I'm another star gazer too :) I use my spotting scope from time to time and my binos but there’s nothing a like better than sitting somewhere with very low light pollution and my planisphere have a good long look at heavens great way to spend an evening even more fun with a friend.

James

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I wouldn't say I am an astronomer,I just don't have the patience!
But I do stargaze, I have a pair of 10x50 bins and it is amazing the difference they make.
The main problem I have is when I am somewhere "proper" dark there are too many stars and I can't recognise the constellations any more :sadwavey:

The planespheres are excellent they open up the sky really well, just being able to name a few constellations and it starts to make sense, some of the stories about constellations can make the evening more interesting too.

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
First degree was in astrophysics and involved use of university telescopes. Haven't got a scope of my own - doesn't seem much point living in a town, near a motorway, near London. I could rant about light pollution, but it wouldn't change anything. Depressing isn't it. My only hope is that with energy becoming a limiting resource, there will be less needless illumination in a few years.

Of course, there are occasional exceptions like last Wednesday night, when it was cold and clear and almost moonless. Using averted vision I could pick out lots of stars in the Pleiades, see the Orion nebula clearly and see all the principle stars of Gemini. Even caught a sporadic meteor in the latter.

Nowadays I occasionally star-gaze, sometimes with binoculars if they're handy, if it's a clear dark night wherever I am.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE