Assessment on Mt Ruapehu

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

A couple of weeks back I went and did my Bush II Instructors assessment down at Mt Ruapehu here in NZ.

Here is a map of the area where we were working

001.jpg

For comparison I dug out one of my old maps of the Lakes for those of you who might like to compare a NZ 1:50000 topo with a OS 1:50000

002.jpg

The vertical interval on the NZ map is 20m for those who were wondering...

Anyhow we all met up on the mountain and with a crappy weather report we got geared up for bad weather and some Snowcraft practice

Bush2Assessment2009003.jpg

After a bit of a plod up hill we broke down into smaller groups to get assessed on our self arresting and leadership skills in the snow, step cutting route finding etc....

Bush2Assessment2009004.jpg

followed by a bit of rope work assessment featuring rock and snow belays

Bush2Assessment2009009.jpg

Bush2Assessment2009014.jpg

The Stomper Belay is quite common over here on moderate snow slopes

Bush2Assessment2009020.jpg

After that phase we headed out of the snow line and were set a navigation task to navigate to a point.

Bush2Assessment2009022.jpg

This is pretty typical terrain below the snowline..

Bush2Assessment2009023.jpg

The Auscam jacket blends in pretty well in this terrain...

Anyhow half way through my nav leg we get stopped and have to prove where we are by a couple of differing methods one being resection

Bush2Assessment2009028.jpg

Then it's off again

Bush2Assessment2009027.jpg

It starts to sleet and we had to stop and set up a rope hand rail like this

Bush2Assessment2009057.jpg

The we decended down to about 1200m to find a spot to camp in some wet mountain terrain...

Bush2Assessment2009032.jpg

Bush2Assessment2009035.jpg

Bush2Assessment2009036.jpg

It had been a reasonably full day and the cracks started to show up in some of the group with poor nav and a bit of self induced stress

Anyway after we set up camp and some food and a good nights rest the following day was very wet indeed.. So much so that not a lot of photos got taken.. Basically the day consisted of more Nav and some scree crossing practice...

Bush2Assessment2009046.jpg

Out of the 4 of us who were up for Assessment 2 passed and I was fortunate enough to pass...

So I ended up with the Bush II award and I've also now completed my Diploma in Outdoor Leadership and Bushcraft which I get presented in January... :D

Cheers

John

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Congrats on passing the diploma John.

How can you be a leader in bushcraft though when you don't have any trees ? :)

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi Rich,

The outdoor leader and Bush 1 awards take care of all the ulu bashing and Bushcrafty stuff like shelter building, firelighting and survival stuff... Along with more Navigation, campcraft, river crossing techniques, weather prediction, etc etc.. I also did an additional bit of study on Rongoa Maori which is traditional medicinal plant uses.

We do get the odd tree in NZ and have the odd bit of bush here and there.. :rolleyes:

Here is some typical NI secondary growth bush that's pretty open...it even has a track marker...;)

DSCF2378.jpg

DSCF0036.jpg

DSCF0035.jpg

Not to far from where I live about 25 km we have Pirongia forest park... basically think a mountain as high as Scafell covered in trees + bush with no acess issues at all...

DSCF0040-1.jpg

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Rich,

The outdoor leader and Bush 1 awards take care of all the ulu bashing and Bushcrafty stuff like shelter building, firelighting and survival stuff... Along with more Navigation, campcraft, river crossing techniques, weather prediction, etc etc.. I also did an additional bit of study on Rongoa Maori which is traditional medicinal plant uses.

We do get the odd tree in NZ and have the odd bit of bush here and there..

Here is some typical NI secondary growth bush that's pretty open...it even has a track marker...;)

DSCF2378.jpg

Ah yes that's more like the NZ I know.

Are you going into instructing full time in January then ?

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Ah yes that's more like the NZ I know.

Are you going into instructing full time in January then ?

I'm in the process of setting up my company at the moment... But I have quite a bit of work comming up and I have the day job also...

TBH I'd rather work for myself than a centre etc... It's been interesting having to have to redo quals when we shifted from the UK to NZ but things are done a bit differently here and the terrain and environment is totally different so all up it makes really good sense...

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Congrats on the bush II - I heard about those qualifications when I was over there on holiday and walked the Tongariro crossing (just the day walk), so great to be reminded of it all. Am a wee bit envious - good luck with the business!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE