Article: What's in a knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A usefull write up :)
However, I have never heard of a convex grind being called a "Scandinavian" grind before.
From what I understand a "Scandi" is what is illustrated as a "flat Bevel" - often with a secondary "micro bevel" right at the edge.
In my experience a "Flat grind" normally extends from the edge to the back of the blade ...

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
However, I have never heard of a convex grind being called a "Scandinavian" grind before.
From what I understand a "Scandi" is what is illustrated as a "flat Bevel" - often with a secondary "micro bevel" right at the edge.
In my experience a "Flat grind" normally extends from the edge to the back of the blade ...

I have heard that just the other day, but always thought the same as you, apart from it did not have secondary bevel and was flat the the whole depth of the grind,

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
maybe it's a term only used in northern europe? it certainly isn't common to call a convex a scandi in any place I'm aware of..

thedawnawakens

Settler
Dec 2, 2012
UK
I'm with John Fenna on the scandi not being a convex. Thanks for taking the time an effort in doing this though, will help a lot of peeps in choosing the right tool.

Feb 13, 2013
Ireland
However, I have never heard of a convex grind being called a "Scandinavian" grind before...

You're dead right John a convex grind is NOT a scandi grind thanks for spotting it and pointing it out ( I'm the author ). What it is meant to read as is ".....often used in Scandinavian knives and being referred to as the Scandinavian grind but this actually refers to a style of flat bevel where the bevel runs part way up the face of the blade". It was meant to clarify confusion not cause it, sorry folks. I have rectified this on my website but cant change it here. Thanks.

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
I applaud your attempt at tackling not just one, but multiple, topics in one article. I certainly wouldn't have liked to try it.

However, the article is riddled with so many over-simplifications and inaccuracies that it may cause more harm than good to a novice, trying to use this site to increase their knowledge of the subjects covered. Just for example:

"Cold Steel" - No such thing; you should be referring to the cold working of the steel.
"Stainless steel is an alloy of carbon steel and chromium." - There's much more to it than that. E.g. Chromium content of at least 12%, and even that isn't always agreed upon.
Damascus & Laminated listed as 2 different types of metal - Damascus is a laminated steel. I would also disagree with your reasoning behind the use of laminated steel.

It's the same for the remaining sections of the article.

I know this post may come over as unnecessarily harsh. I don't mean it to, but I see no point in perpetuating the errors - something which is done all too often on the internet.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Needs considerable editing

" Carbon steel will rust and pattern over time, it is a softer type of steel"
Nope, generally carbon steel is harder.

"
Choose a fixed blade knife as folding knives have an inherent weakness as the blade is not one piece and at some stage they will break. "
Anyone here actually broken a folding knife?
You should point out the difference between a locking and a slipjoint folding knife. That's very important for beginners to know.

You mention a 'spear point'. If this is for beginners then maybe put in a picture illustrating what you mean. I'm not sure what you mean.

Damascus steel does not cut through 'other european swords or even rock'.

shelly

Admin
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Deepest Wales
You're dead right John a convex grind is NOT a scandi grind thanks for spotting it and pointing it out ( I'm the author ). What it is meant to read as is ".....often used in Scandinavian knives and being referred to as the Scandinavian grind but this actually refers to a style of flat bevel where the bevel runs part way up the face of the blade". It was meant to clarify confusion not cause it, sorry folks. I have rectified this on my website but cant change it here. Thanks.

I have changed the text as quoted above, hope that's right now :)

Fallschirmwomble

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2009
Tennis Town
"Choose a fixed blade knife as folding knives have an inherent weakness as the blade is not one piece and at some stage they will break. "
Anyone here actually broken a folding knife?

I have.

A small log splitting task (batoning). Pin didn't break, it was the locking part of the "tang" that sheared. Have known pins to loosen, too, giving for a level of play in the blade, even when locked.

I now have an instinctive mistrust and dislike of folders. Suitable only as backup and/or for light use - in my opinion. Each to their own. I've had no problems with Opinels (even batoning) which is just as well 'cause I'd never spend more than £12 on a folder. Why would you need to? Sadly, I tend to use (or carry) my customised (drop point and therefore shortened) Opinel #9 more than my fixed blade knife, for legal compliance in the UK.

A good article on a contentious subject even if it requires a couple of finishing tweaks. This is one of those subjects that would attract what might seem like heavy and/or pedantic criticism if ambiguous or incorrect by an iota. In my opinion, very few people would be able to write such an article without some inaccuracies - and criticism. Well done for putting your head over the parapet, so to speak.

I've learnt much from it - thanks Johnny!

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....."Choose a fixed blade knife as folding knives have an inherent weakness as the blade is not one piece and at some stage they will break. "
Anyone here actually broken a folding knife?....

I've actually broken two. But not at the supposed weak joint. Both were broken within a half inch of the tip and TBH a fixed blade would have done the same.

However in other threads I've mentioned "wearing out" smaller folding knives. The joint is indeed what usually wore out with them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE