Article: Snugpak: Westwinds Antarctic Ventile Smock and Overtrousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Great review thanks...and it would appear that the pricing of these new articles is much more pocket friendly than Ventile prices have been in the past. In fact the Airedale and almost the Antarctic smock are now in the price bracket of the polycotton Greenland by Fjallraven.

Good job Snugpak!

K

Last edited:

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I was issued one when I worked for the British Antarctic Survey almost twenty years ago. Fantastic bit of kit, I'd have brought it home if it had a full length zip ( I'm not keen on smocks ), and if it wasn't international orange.....

Cheers, Michael.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Nice comprehensive review, thanks, i like the sound of silent waterproofs but as soon as you mentioned they may not be good for someone who sweats a lot i scratched them off the shopping list, they would be great for me if i sat still

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I got one of these a week or so ago thanks to a top bloke on here. I'm really impressed by it and really wish I'd popped it into my overnight sack yesterday as I really needed it today.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Excellent. Sounds good. I need a larger Ventile smock as my old Survival Aids SAS smock does not allow me to wear a decent wool layer underneath (such as my Swanni!) due to being a bit small... What's the sizing like? I will need plenty of room underneath for winter use.

RobSwan

Sep 17, 2014
Hartlepool
Thanks John. I've sworn by my fathers old US M43 Field Jacket for years (probably given to him by an Amreican during the WWII). It's not meant to be waterproof but I've worn it in the worst the North East can throw at me and it keeps me perfectly warm and dry. And it's cool enough to use in summer too. It's getting a little tired around the edges by now and the fabric is getting too old to repair. I would love to replace it with another - perhaps one size larger now though - but they're don't seem to be any serviceable garments left and I'm not convinced the modern copies are as robust. It's just a shame (for me) this is only available as a smock. Does anyone know of a modern cotton equivalent to the old US M43 Field Jacket?

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
Just taken delivery of the trousers,all I need now is for some rain so that I can try them and my BCUK jacket after I gave it a clean with Grangers 2in1
Andrew

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE