Article: SnugPak: Insulated Jungle Travel Blanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I got the Snugpak Jungle Blanket only a few months back expecting it to be a bigger Snugpak Top quilt but in reality it has far less insulation and pack down smaller than the top quilt despite it being 4 times the size. I really can't see it being any good at any temps lower then 10C.
The clue is in the name really. The Jungle Blanket is ideal for warm weather or wrapping around yourself sat in front of a campfire. In the recent hot weather they’ve been really good to have on us at night instead of a duvet, or sheet.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thanks for that.
I did wonder. It's a shame to have lost such an encyclopedia of bushcraft information. But the knowledge is still there amongst our members no doubt. I might just need to ask the questions again.
The original review is probably still there, it’s just the internet address has changed, Tony has repaired them in the past. Most admin and mods are at the Moot so the forum is a bit quiet.

I’ve had the standard sized blanket for years and found it superb for warmer weather sleeping. It got nicked by Madam so I bought another in XL which is better because there’s enough to tuck in around you if you get a bit chilly. The only downside I see to them is as an extra cover on a sleeping bag. You’ll see them recommended a lot for this, but they’re the same slippy material so always slide off (hence the XL recommendation).

Think of the blanket as a very thin, light and packable open sleeping bag, there’s not much more to them than that. Excellent for warm/hot nights, not really as a blanket for cooler weather.

Reactions: mowerman

StevieE

Forager
Jul 15, 2021
Bridgend, South Wales
I've got the standard size which packs down very small especially with the compression straps.
Great for summer and emergency use and probably as an additional layer for winter.
Not washed it yet though so no idea how the filling would react to that.

mowerman

Aug 23, 2015
Shropshire
The original review is probably still there, it’s just the internet address has changed, Tony has repaired them in the past. Most admin and mods are at the Moot so the forum is a bit quiet.

I’ve had the standard sized blanket for years and found it superb for warmer weather sleeping. It got nicked by Madam so I bought another in XL which is better because there’s enough to tuck in around you if you get a bit chilly. The only downside I see to them is as an extra cover on a sleeping bag. You’ll see them recommended a lot for this, but they’re the same slippy material so always slide off (hence the XL recommendation).

Think of the blanket as a very thin, light and packable open sleeping bag, there’s not much more to them than that. Excellent for warm/hot nights, not really as a blanket for cooler weather.
100% agree.
I tried to use it with my Jura 2 sleeping bag and it just keeps sliding off in to a ball.
Great for warmer nights though when nothing else is needed or in winter to line your chair and keep the chill off.

Reactions: Nice65
Sep 12, 2021
Sweden
It's a good blanket but like others have said definitely for the warmer months. Although always nice to double up under a down bag in winter

Wandering Fred

Oct 1, 2018
Dorset
I have the XL Jungle Blanket that I use on it's own during summer or as a topper/sitting around blanket during the winter.
As a suggestion, if you wrap one end with shockcord & then flip it so the bunched end is inside at your feet, it acts similar to a basic quilt & doesn't move around too much.

Reactions: Woody110

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Got one for crimbo and I've used it in the house a bit. Really impressed with the pack down size. Probably about a litre?

I can imagine it being great for those warm summer nights where a bag is too much, or for packing with a bag that is going to be borderline comfortable. I know it won't be as good as the ideal bag but I can see it getting a lot of use. The Mrs seems to run cold a lot so it will get plenty of use either way!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I got the Xl a while back, and herself got two standard sized ones, one for the car and one for, well I'm not quite sure as it is still in its packaging.

I've mentioned this before but I think it worth repeating. The sewing of a suitably spaced pair of large hooks and eyes on a long edge makes wearing it as a cloak about camp much easier and decreases the chances of damage from using a cloak or safety pin. Before I did that I found it slipped off the shoulders too easily.

ATB

Tom

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
I've actually started using mine indoors since the weather turned colder, I hate duvet's as I hate the "weight" of them on top of me but the jungle blanket has been keeping me toasty.

Tempted to buy the regular size for the EDC bag now.

I have been doing exactly the same thing myself, been using it indoors for around a month now. Like yourself I hate the weight of a duvet, I have the XL version but thinking of buying the regular size as to use permanently indoors as the XL version is a bit too large for a single person use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE