Article: SnugPak: Insulated Jungle Travel Blanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Looks a nifty bit of kit.. for use in a layering system for summer & winter camping :)

Thanks for the review... John :D

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
I would say that the quality is about equal, the stitching on a genuine issue woobie is as good as the Snugpak, both have survived the fights that the cats and the dog have over them, for instance. The Snugpak has an edge in that it is warmer and should be more available over here (UK) than a genuine issue woobie for the same price. The Mil-Tec and like woobies are not as well put together as the genuine item, I have found that the threads are weaker and the stitching comes apart after a while.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Sounds like the US poncho liner (or Woobie!) Do they compare?

The snugpak blanket looks exactly like the new issue warm weather sleeping bags just without the head section and zip. If so then it'll be a good bit warmer than the US issue liner but a bit more bulky. I would still take the older issue bag over these two, which feels a bit warmer.

Tonyuk

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Very tempting the waterproof aspect particularly so, plus it's a good size width wise.

Jumbo polyester fleeces from B&M are only about 130x190cm, being 5'8" and kinda skinny that just about works for me as a fallback bag liner but it's a tight wrap so something a little bigger without the dog bone & paw print pattern is mighty desirable. Definitely adding this to my wish list.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Very tempting the waterproof aspect particularly so, plus it's a good size width wise.

Jumbo polyester fleeces from B&M are only about 130x190cm, being 5'8" and kinda skinny that just about works for me as a fallback bag liner but it's a tight wrap so something a little bigger without the dog bone & paw print pattern is mighty desirable. Definitely adding this to my wish list.

The blanket is not waterproof, just resistant to maybe a light shower, but is does dry fast.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
yes they are rectangular and have two zips (side and bottom). I'm a big fan of the jungle sleeping bag, and thinking about getting a second for a possible hammock underquilt or for doubling up in the cold.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Bought one on the strength of the review, love it, great for aummer nights when I get sweaty in a bag, also a good booster layer for cold weather plus useful emergency kit, all in all a winner for the money !

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Thanks for sharing this review John, very interesting.

I'm thinking of getting one to combine with my 2/3 season Alpkit sleeping bag for the winter. I've used my sleeping bag comfortably down to -1 celsius so I'd welcome any thoughts on whether this would be a good addition for the winter kit to wrap around my sleeping bag and enable me to sleep more comfortably in lower temperatures?

I'm thinking it would be kind of like a wool blanket but without the added bulk! Interestingly I've also been looking at getting one of Snugpaks more affordable 3/4 season sleeping bags for winter but am concerned that they too are rather bulky (my main camping rucksack is a NI Patrol pack!) This blanket could be a very practical solution.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
And did the Snugpak blankets also become old like the thread?

I bought a new Snugpak jungle bag perhaps 3 years ago, did use it regularly during two summers in France, washed it in different washing machines at different camping grounds and in the end the seams did pull out. Now I have everywhere holes in the outer fabric where wind and insects can enter easily.

That is a disposable low quality product.

I also own the British made Snugpak Special Forces 1 and 2 and adapter and the Asian made SF bivvy bag and these are obviously high end quality products.

The SF1 and bivvy bag I used surely 1000 times without any problems. Although I wash the SF1 regularly it looks like new.

I assume that the British made Snugpak products generally are worth the money but the imported Snugpak stuff is as bad as most other Asian made products. (Apart from Japanese stuff of course.)

Defcon 5 delivers a poncho liner and poncho to the Italian army. The poncho is good, the liner I don't own. Both are available factory new.

Would I like to buy such a blanket I would try the Defcon 5 poncho liner. NATO equipment generally lasts pretty long in my experience.

Last edited:

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
I got the Snugpak Jungle Blanket only a few months back expecting it to be a bigger Snugpak Top quilt but in reality it has far less insulation and pack down smaller than the top quilt despite it being 4 times the size. I really can't see it being any good at any temps lower then 10C.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE