Article: Pie Irons

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
My parents bought a Jaffle at the Ideal Home Show in the 50s. I seem and it was used regularly with a huge range of things, usually leftovers, between two slices of bread placed buttered side out to provide quick snacks. Strangely we never thought of using it anywhere except on the gas ring in the kitchen.
My wife, whom I met in 1961, had been brought up in France and was used to French cooking. She was appalled at what she regarded as the barbarity of Jaffle cuisine.
This article has brought back fond memories for me despite a huge rise in the standards of cooking I have become accustomed to.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
My parents bought a Jaffle at the Ideal Home Show in the 50s. I seem and it was used regularly with a huge range of things, usually leftovers, between two slices of bread placed buttered side out to provide quick snacks. Strangely we never thought of using it anywhere except on the gas ring in the kitchen.
My wife, whom I met in 1961, had been brought up in France and was used to French cooking. She was appalled at what she regarded as the barbarity of Jaffle cuisine.
This article has brought back fond memories for me despite a huge rise in the standards of cooking I have become accustomed to.

Didn't the French popularise croque monsieurs and monte cristos in the first place? :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nope, they just gave toasties a fancy name and tried to grab all of the glory...

I was taught that the inspiration for French cuisine was the same as the inspiration of Soul Food. In both cases it came about as a need to make poor quality ingredients tatse good.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
You're right santaman. The real French cooking, as opposed to nouvelle cuisine and haute cusine, is what you say. My French friends, and my wife, prefer those dishes such as cassoulet (baked beans with small beans with small bits of meat and sausage), or bouef bourginon (beef stew). What most of us have been taught to think of as French food was that produced for the wealthy in restaurants.
My favourite food is paella which the Catalans in my art of France do so well. Basically rice with whatever is left in the larder and whatever fish you found.

I still hanker after a left over potato and tinned pilchard jaffle like my mother used to make!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....My favourite food is paella which the Catalans in my art of France do so well. Basically rice with whatever is left in the larder and whatever fish you found......

Sounds very much like Cajun jambalaya. But then Louisiana was first settled by the Spanish and later the French. And for what it's worth jambalaya (and Cajun food in general) is one of my favorites too.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE