Article: Helle Temagami

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
First review I have read on this knife.I did like the sound of it alot when orders were initially being taken but thanks for this review as it will save me having to get one to try it.I already have several knives which would perform as well as this one and I was wondering what extra factor makes it so special to justify the price tag.I trust John Fenna to give it a true testing and return a fair verdict.The conclusion seems to be that it's a good knife but not a great one so at £140 I think I will pass.As usual though John writes so fluently and makes this article worth reading for that alone.Nice one.Cheers , Simon

mrblue

Nov 15, 2012
England UK
I love this knife and the idea of the laminated stainless, and the beautiful Knurled wood handle.
However, coming from Norway it has a very steep hill to climb to even get bought in the first place, when knives as good as it can be bought for substantially less, not least the Mora. One of the original Mora knives which looks almost identical is £25.00 only.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
It isn't designed as a survival knife (what ever one of those is), but it is a very nice looking general purpose bushy knife

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Reminds me of my old Helle Futura. Great knife.
I would be unhappy with the finish that John mentions in his review, especially at that kind of price.
It just doesn't seem worth the extra jump in cost over the standard Helle models which are great.

In regards to "What is a survival knife" I have no idea.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I love this knife and the idea of the laminated stainless, and the beautiful Knurled wood handle.
However, coming from Norway it has a very steep hill to climb to even get bought in the first place, when knives as good as it can be bought for substantially less, not least the Mora. One of the original Mora knives which looks almost identical is £25.00 only.

please point the Mora out to me

It's not a survival knife Imo and overpriced

I have a sodbuster in my pocket that I'd class as a Survival kinfe ;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The knife was originally described by the makers as a "Bushcraft/Survival" knife - they now call it a Wilderness knife and both the handle and blade have been modified.
The knife was designed by Les Stroud "Survivor Man" - so I think it must be known by him to have his name on it - and he sells it through his own website....
As to "What is a "Survival knife"" I would say that it is a knife that is designed to help you survive in the wilderness.....:)

Jan 6, 2014
United Kingdom
I have one of these in carbon steel, well it's actually my second as the first one had a fault in the manufacturing, so the blade bent after very light use. Number 2 is far better, and works very well for pretty much every task. It is possible to get sparks with a firesteel just behind the point, where the harder steel core is exposed. A very good knife though! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE