Article: Heinne Haynes: Helikon-Tex Field Parka Soldier 2008

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I'm with you on the camouflage issue but that hasn't kept me from acquiring over the years at least one of each successive pattern used by the British army. But there is a pattern of increasingly over-engineering on those and the current shirt, which I think is also called a jacket. For instance, I can do without the pit-zips. Also, the double flap on the pockets doesn't seem worth it. All the recent patterns are relatively long in the body, too.

The US Army 1965 pattern which was being issued when I went through basic training in 1966 (although I got a M1952) had Velcro but I'm not wild about Velcro when it's used a lot. I personally prefer the plain zip front on the previous pattern. No buttons, no Velcro, just the zipper.

A built-in hood is always nice, provided it's big enough but the best hood I've ever seen on a garment was the one with the quilted lining on the old DPM cold weather parka, usually referred to as the Falkland War parka by vendors. But I remove the wires from hoods.

Field grey might be a nice color.

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
Looks to be a good value for money coat. Personally I'm not against camo. Often I want to just let people pass by without being seen and woodland camo does the job. It also helps me blend in better when trying to get closer to wildlife by breaking up my outline better than a plain color. So I tend to see camo as 'The Friend' not 'The Enemy'.

But speaking of plain colors - why not try another military coat I've been using in the wilderness for 10 years or more - the humble German army coat. What a steal. I paid around 15-20 quid at army surplus Exeter. Don't know if you can still buy these. It's all season with removable fleece lining. Zip and popper front fastening. Large fleece lined hood. Color tends slightly more towards greyish than olive as above. Has kept me toasty through the harshest winters at home and abroad. Can't recommend highly enough.

Last edited:

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Great review john I find the size is one up from normal and one more thing very quiet when stalking .

darren75

Nov 26, 2013
Sussex
i just got Helikon tex level 6 ECWCS jacket and trousers level 7 British army ECW (reversible softie top and bottoms) special forces SOCOM/SPEAR polartec fleece top and bottoms, then i just discovered the new EWOL fire retardent waterproof ECWCS! which would be better for me. still for briish weather what ive got does a great job when i'm sitting fishing

whitey1

Jan 1, 2014
Staffordshire
I recently brought a German parka, I believe its flecktarn? I've been wearing it ever since! at £25.00 it hardly broke the bank, the only complaint I'd say is that it is in camo and the lining appears to continually fray!! other then that, I can't complain! I'd give some specifics on what pattern or age it was but I'm afraid I don't have it to hand at the moment!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE