Article: Cartridge Case Matchbox

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Debby

Good to see this article. :) I've been using this type of cartridge case / match carrier for several years now. (My son makes them for me!) I tend to keep a mixture of Rat Pack issue matches and striker in them, a few waterproofs, and light anywheres.

Defo would't try to take them abroad. I don't want to get up close n personal with a Customers Officer any time soon! :rofl:

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
If you can find someone that shoots a 16 bore (not common) and trim the split open end of the cartridge case where the crimp has unfolded on firing, and then do the same to an empty 12 bore case, you'll find the 16 will slide into the 12 and make a virtually waterproof container for matches.

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
Great article. I made a few not long ago and had an idea to use one as a basic sewing kit. It seems to work pretty well holding needles and several feet of thread.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Great article. I made a few not long ago and had an idea to use one as a basic sewing kit. It seems to work pretty well holding needles and several feet of thread.

Hmm, that got me thinking. I must sift throught the "brass-bucket" by the rifle range for something suitable for needles. The bone cases are nice, as are the wooden ones, but neither is supercompact, and the small plastic cases that leads for automatic pencils come in loose the lids.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmm, that got me thinking. I must sift throught the "brass-bucket" by the rifle range for something suitable for needles. The bone cases are nice, as are the wooden ones, but neither is supercompact, and the small plastic cases that leads for automatic pencils come in loose the lids.

Get a .223 and .357 mag. The needles go into the .223 and the .357 mag goes snugly over the top - a perfect friction fit needle case

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Get a .223 and .357 mag. The needles go into the .223 and the .357 mag goes snugly over the top - a perfect friction fit needle case

Thanks. good to know, but extremely unlikely to be found here. Basically what can be found in the brass bucket is everything from .22 to overhefty rifle calibers, few exotics (and most that have those reload), with 6.6x55, .308 and .30-06 being -- WAG -- 75% of it.

Celberon

Dec 17, 2006
UK
Super article.
That idea from Wicca using 16 and 12 bore spent cartridges is also brill.

Making two of the same but sealing the overlap with resin on the second would make a reasonably watertight backup should the first ever get damaged, soaked or dropped.

goodjob

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2013
Derby
Great article MartiniDave, saw this myself in a Ray mears book,made one and had it for years! it's water proof, it floats and it's a great way to recycle cartridges! like the primer idea great stuff!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE