Arrow rest for Ash flat bow - advice please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi folks,
I've finally finished my ash flatbow, but need a bit of advice with the arrow rest.
I have carved a notch into the bow and the leather handle gives me a little bit of a shelf to rest the arrow on, but I'm still getting a nasty slap on my top finger when the arrow releases. I've not got any pic's at the mo as I'm at work, what do you do for your rests ?

Cheers Andy

I've used a longbow quite a lot which obviously doesn't have any rest, and I've never had an problems with my bow hand.
not a bow maker myself so can't advise too much. I do know that I knock my arrows in a different orientation for my afb though wich has a shelf.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If the arrow is catching your finger it is usually because the knocking point on the string is too high or too low.
Most of the bows I make the pass tends to be an inch or so higher than center of bow. The arrow knocked at a right angle to this or just an 1/8 - 1/4 higher.

Last edited:

wildranger

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 29, 2011
Ireland
I tried Dwardos suggestion, shooting off my hand by nocking the arrow so that the arrow nock is slightly above the arrow tip (the arrow is angled downwards slightly) but it didn't solve the problem completely for me so for now, whenever I shoot, I pull my sleeve over my hand and this makes for pain-free shooting.

so for now, whenever I shoot, I pull my sleeve over my hand and this makes for pain-free shooting.

never thought of that, I just cut the finger of a leather glove to help take the impact, it's probably the plastic fletching hitting my finger. I don't have decent arrows yet , just some cheapy's to start off. I've loosed about 40 arrows this afternoon after work and it seems to be better also I think I'm knocking it more consistently. I think to start with it wasn't always in the same place.
I'm really happy with this bow, not the poundage I wanted, but good just the same. I'll have to update my original post on it with pics :)

cheers Andy

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
If changing style doesn't help buy a finger stall from a chemist, leather finger protector can work well.

Ahh , never thought of that , do you put the cock feather to the inside , when it has a shelf then?

I have the knocks which you can rotate, so I can use the same arrows on my AFB and Longbow (which are fairly similar in draw). I'm not sure if its the right way to go, but on the AFB with a shelf I put the cock feather upwards, the other two feathers then don't hit the shelf so hard, and cause a c**k-up!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
never thought of that, I just cut the finger of a leather glove to help take the impact, it's probably the plastic fletching hitting my finger. I don't have decent arrows yet , just some cheapy's to start off. I've loosed about 40 arrows this afternoon after work and it seems to be better also I think I'm knocking it more consistently. I think to start with it wasn't always in the same place.
I'm really happy with this bow, not the poundage I wanted, but good just the same. I'll have to update my original post on it with pics :)

cheers Andy

Get it posted love to see others bows
! Kind of a build along in my post here :- http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87278

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE