Army vehicles on the road

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
A question to those still serving

Driving today just had a thought you never see 4 tonne or now 6 tonne vehicles driving on the road with squaddies in the back anymore or do you/ is there a reason

while serving in the 80's to 2005 I was always in the back of a 4 tonne vehicle going somewhere and in the TA every other weekend

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I still see a yup of 'em up 'round Sennybridge, but other places not so many as previously, now you mention it.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
All down to the MOD no longer issuing Luncheon Vouchers (LV's) so motorway service stations are simply too expensive for other than the Officer class.

K

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Most transit is now done by white fleet. I haven't seen a convoy in years. Apparently Landies (wolfs) are like rocking horse do do now. Coaches and double cabs are the order of the day.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
All down to the MOD no longer issuing Luncheon Vouchers (LV's) so motorway service stations are simply too expensive for other than the Officer class.

K

Sorry, that's nonsense. If you're on a duty journey over a meal period (or five hours) than you can claim Subsistence Allowance. Buy food & then claim it back.

Most of the guys are in 50/50 vans these days, certain more comfortable and probably safer.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Here on #16, we get a few convoys moving around every summer. They practice "no-trace" movements.
This summer we have many army patrols for highway check points and road patrols inside the fire zones.
We've even got plicks that steal fire-fighting equipment. They have been "restrained" until the police arrive.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Whats a double cab
and a 50/50 van

lost track of vehicle names I guess

on vehicle journeys we were issued with foul pennine pop, stale sandwiches pasty/pie, biscuits and fruit in a white cardboard hava box

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Same thing I think Mike - Basically a high roof white transit with 9 seats. The back bit is a normal van split in half with a partition so you can carry equipment in a safe area. Great for AT etc.

ferretracer

Nov 16, 2012
basingstoke
Still see a fair few but I am in Basingstoke and up and the A303 a fair few times, Salisbury plain area also seen a few on the M3 coming from Aldershot probably. A few months ago there was a convoy of landies parked up in the centre of the new blackdam roundabout and some woman had hit the lead vehicle, not much left of her small car(she was ok) and the landie had peeled back wing and crumpled bonnet, but probably still drove off.(I know as I pretty much did the same when I stuffed my mates one into a tree on 4x4 course backed it up and of we drove, I did replace the bonnet and smashed lights and help put everthing back straight again).

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Whats a double cab
and a 50/50 van

lost track of vehicle names I guess

on vehicle journeys we were issued with foul pennine pop, stale sandwiches pasty/pie, biscuits and fruit in a white cardboard hava box

"Cab" refers to the passenger cabin (where the driver sits) Older trucks had a single usually cab 1 door on either side and a single bench seat that seated 3) whereas modern trucks usually have a double cab (a front and a back door on either side and inside seating for 6) Double cabs are referred to by several names:
1) Double Cab
2) Six Pack
3) Twin Cab
4) Crew Cab
5) King Cab
etc.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Sorry, that's nonsense. If you're on a duty journey over a meal period (or five hours) than you can claim Subsistence Allowance. Buy food & then claim it back.

Most of the guys are in 50/50 vans these days, certain more comfortable and probably safer.

Of course it is!

Clearly I should give up my ambition to secure an appearance at next year's Edinburgh Fringe.
:sulkoff:

K

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE