Army Surplus Field Dressings - where to buy?

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I've recently done a REC First Aid course and the guy running it recommended army field dressings over the crepe bandages you get in Boots and suchlike. (He also swore by duct tape for almost everything!)

Anyone got any idea where I can get these? Do they have sell by dates? Have you used them? Any info appreciated.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
They do have sell by dates. The very best are Israeli Military Bandages. If you do a search on here, you will get a few links. We did a group buy a few months ago and they are superb.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i'll be honest i carry the old Nato standard FFD, cracking bit of kit even without the fancy pressure bar and pin etc.
good old fasioned wrap and tie is also effective ;)

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
... Do they have sell by dates? Have you used them? ...
They have dates on them that are "use by" but mainly apply to the sterility of the dressing. Basically if it's passed the date then it may not be sterile.

But ...

If you're pumping out the red stuff like a BP oil well then bugger whether it's sterile or not. Use a muddy rag if needed as long as the flow is under control! An infection is the least of your worries if you won't live long enough to see your GP for antibiotics. If the packaging is in relatively good nick without holes or rips then the dressing should be OK to use.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
They do have sell by dates. The very best are Israeli Military Bandages. If you do a search on here, you will get a few links. We did a group buy a few months ago and they are superb.

and I'm never doing a Group Buy again! :lol:

I've actually only just put that one to bed in the last few days, sorting out refunds for the ones lost in the post. :rolleyes:

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
and I'm never doing a Group Buy again! :lol:

I've actually only just put that one to bed in the last few days, sorting out refunds for the ones lost in the post. :rolleyes:

You have my utmost sympathy...I was massively out of pocket after the glow stick GB farce of a couple of years ago. It seems our Post Office can't even deliver the most basic of services.

Simon

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I got one of the bay a couple of weeks ago,(the 4").
He has the 6" too.

bornsurvivor_uk was the seller,superfast delivery too.
Listed as a Nato British Army Issue Trauma wound Field dressing.

Just a happy customer etc...

Also,Gill introduced me to 'Vet Wrap'.
It's the wrapping for animal dressings available in vets or pet shops.
Sticks well and comes off a lot easier than duct tape.

Last edited:
They have dates on them that are "use by" but mainly apply to the sterility of the dressing. Basically if it's passed the date then it may not be sterile.

But ...

If you're pumping out the red stuff like a BP oil well then bugger whether it's sterile or not. Use a muddy rag if needed as long as the flow is under control! An infection is the least of your worries if you won't live long enough to see your GP for antibiotics. If the packaging is in relatively good nick without holes or rips then the dressing should be OK to use.

yep an the only place a propper sterile dressing will ever be applyed is a operating theatre etc as you say any rag will do when theres blood pumping

I got some of het Israli bandages (cheers Stew) my made did a fair bit of Army medic stuff and likes them but theres also another one that has squares and circles on it depending what shape you stretch them into shows how much pressure its applying but as Mil kit i cant find em ?????

ATB

Duncan

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
You have my utmost sympathy...I was massively out of pocket after the glow stick GB farce of a couple of years ago. It seems our Post Office can't even deliver the most basic of services.

Simon

Thats a shame that cause those glow sticks were superb.

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
Just a quickie on the British Field dressing. The packaging (beige cloth with pvc lining) is used for part of the wound management. If the patient has a sucking chest wound it can be used shiny side down directly over the wound to prevent ingress of air ad then the dressing over it to hold in place and manage blood flow. Also used over the wound once you get to three dressings (larger size) to assist in stemming bloodflow. Also used to protect wound from ingress of water / soaking out from the outside etc...
Bloody marvellous things!..... sorry.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE