Army poncho set up

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Spent the day in my army poncho testing out the fixes that I'd made to the various holes that it had in it. Having made it watertight I got to thinking about poncho set ups. Given its size what are people's favourite set ups of this great bit of kit?

Cheers Joab

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Not used the British Army poncho, but have a flecktarn one, Suffers a bit from being only 2.05m x 1.05m. I found that unless you ran a full ridge line, and attached the hood to it, it would sag and get in the way. I looped some cord round the hood, and attached it to the ridge with a prussik knot.

Hth.

J

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Which poncho do you have? I had the Polish army poncho pair, that I used as a mini Lavvu. My British army poncho is best used as a lean to shelter.

I have the british army poncho (58 pattern?)...I actually have 2 which I bought in a crappy state- think they join together although only one has fixed holes at the moment!

I did fancy the polish ponchos- they seem to make a great set up

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have used the MOD poncho as a "pyramid" tent with a bivibag that ran out from under one face. Great admin room and cooking space combined with weather proof sleeping :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I used a 58 pattern poncho when I was in my twenties, I usually used five bungie cords and some para cord to secure it to nearby trees, usually as a mini pyramid like John.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
During my time as a professional soldier the only way we used them was to bungee out the corners and then tie off and suspend the hood. They were used without bivi bags until they started to appear on the market but only about 50% of people bothered buying one. My first bivi bag was made by Survival Aids and purchased in the NAAFI and in 1986 cost £105!

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
the only way we used them was to bungee out the corners and then tie off and suspend the hood.
Aye, I used to do the same. We were issued the new sleeping system so got issued a goretex bivi bag.
We were vehicle-borne recce so had the scorpion shelter to string off the lannie but they were so bulky and so much faff we bagged them off for a basha.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
During my time as a professional soldier the only way we used them was to bungee out the corners and then tie off and suspend the hood. They were used without bivi bags until they started to appear on the market but only about 50% of people bothered buying one. My first bivi bag was made by Survival Aids and purchased in the NAAFI and in 1986 cost £105!

Man you must be stark ravin mad. £105 was 315 Deutsche Mark in 1986. That was 315 beers in the NAAFI. 315 scoops or a plastic bag? It's a no brainer.

4472187463_071c5bc5b8_z.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE