Arktis or Sass Sas smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Opinions gentlemen.I fancy a really good quality olive drab sas smock,do i go for the Arktis or the Sass smock.Ive never spent this much on a jacket before so i want to make the right choice,i think they are both Gortex lined and both companys do a trouser to go with them.Anyone got any experience of these jackets.Thanks.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I have a SASS Kit Karry smock flippin great smock loads of pockets fantastic quality and you can also have extras fitted to it e.g taped buttons double hood retainer straps, velcro cuffs more pockets ect check the website out http://www.sasskit.co.uk/ , but as ED says its not goretex lined and as far as im aware none of the SASS smocks are :?: but you can buy liners :wink:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
No, neither are GoreTex lined but you can buy a liner for them (or just cotton proof them for shower-proofing).

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
I've got an SASS Karry Kit jacket too (doesn't seem to me to be a smock cos it's got a full length zip!) - no integral gore-tex, but they sell a liner that works very nicely

Fit and finish on the SASS jacket is excellent, as is the service - mine had to be made since they didn't have my size in stock and it was with me in a couple of days. Also they're happy to chat to you on the phone about their products and the rationale behind them - I enquired about a couple of modifications, one of which was incorporated, the other wasn't but I was given a detailed reason why they had previoiusly considered the idea but had rejected it. I learnt a lot from talking to them!

BUT SASS couldn't do me a green jacket - they can't get a fabric they're happy with. They said that the ripstop they use for the black jacket turns out like a weird tartan when dyed. Still it's worth phoning to find out!

Richie

Forager
Feb 3, 2004
North Wales
I was on the phone to SASS yesterday about the OG Smock and they can't get the material at the moment. They suggested that a call about in 4 weeks to see what the situation is like then

Richie

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
I have had two jackets from SASS.

First was a SAS Smock in cotton modal - probably got that about 85. It is still going strong despite very hard use. It got retired for other to use as the stomach area mysteriously shrank ( thats my story and Im sticking to it :roll: )

About four years ago I got another smock from them in ripstop.

Always the service is first rate, very helpful and knowledgable. Treated with cotton proof, both jackets take a fair soaking before letting in.

Have has a squiffy zip or two on the current jacket - but havent taken up with SASS - who I am sure would have sorted - so only myself to blame there!

No experience of Arktis.

Hope helps

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Thanks for all the replys lads.I thought that both companys did a water proof smock.I thought i had seen them for sale in Silvermans and Soldier of fortune.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
boaty said:
I thnk that Wayne (The General) has one of these - it's the jacket he was wearing at the BCUK meetup. I didn't scrutinise it carefully, but it looked like a nice piece of kit

Available from Woodland Organics
Those are the ones.i knew that i had seen them before.They do look a top piece of gear i have to say.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
arktis do a water proof jacket (call it a smock if you like) but it is not gortex

The Sass Smocks are of much higher quality but they are not water proof, however they do sell a gortex liner for their smocks

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
boaty said:
Is it breathable then? (But that's a moot point anyway, when you sweat as much as me :yuck:)

I have been using an Arktis Waterproof Smock for over a year now, they are very good. The liner is breathable, I would say as breathable as regular Gore Tex but not as breathable as Gore Tex Pac Lite.
The outer is rip stop poltcotton, which is pretty tough and dries quickly.
The only bad point I would have to say about it is it only has one storm flap that is not lined with waterproof/breathable liner, but this isn't too bad as it has double internal storm flaps behind the zipper.
The older ones were made of a more heavy weight fabric (liner and shell) and the pockets were not waterproof. The newer ones are more lightweight, more breathable and the pockets are lined with proofed nylon (outer pocket only and non breathable) Which doesn't gaurantee a dry pocket but certainly helps.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
bushblade said:
I have been using an Arktis Waterproof Smock for over a year now, they are very good. The liner is breathable, I would say as breathable as regular Gore Tex but not as breathable as Gore Tex Pac Lite.
The outer is rip stop poltcotton, which is pretty tough and dries quickly.
The only bad point I would have to say about it is it only has one storm flap that is not lined with waterproof/breathable liner, but this isn't too bad as it has double internal storm flaps behind the zipper.
The older ones were made of a more heavy weight fabric (liner and shell) and the pockets were not waterproof. The newer ones are more lightweight, more breathable and the pockets are lined with proofed nylon (outer pocket only and non breathable) Which doesn't gaurantee a dry pocket but certainly helps.
Really does sound the dogs twitcher,have to save me pennys and get myself an olive drab version. :)

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
bushblade said:
I have been using an Arktis Waterproof Smock for over a year now, they are very good.
Do you find that the waterproof liner makes the jacket very warm? I find with the SASS jacket that, once I've got the liner in, it can be too warm. Since it's showerproof anyway, I find that the liner is only really necessary when it's really tipping it down (or it's raining that really fine stuff, that you can hardly see but which soaks you through very quickly!), and the versatility of having a seperate liner means I've got the benefit of the jacket (and all its pockets!) through a wider range of conditions

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
I don't find it too warm at all, I rarely wear it in the summer though (I usualy use ventile as its more comfortable next to the skin). This time of year onwards its very good over the top of wool base layers, and used with a ranger shirt for realy cold weather. You can roll the sleaves up, and it has a two way zip so you can vent if its a bit too warm.
Also the rank slide makes a perfect location for a BCUK badge :eek:):

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
This Gortex stuff,in order for it to work(breath ect) do you need to wear a certain type of clothing underneath the gortex jacket for the gortex to work at its best ect.Sorry to ask a daft question but ive never used gortex clothing.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Goretex is a very fragile mebrame, normally guaranteed for thee years (how long does cotton or polycotton lasT?)
Goretex smock liners can be bought for £15 or so, so a seperate smock/liner combo makes more sense.
My personal choice is a single layer ventile, with good features, and a liner, this gives year round performance, in all conditions, and is good when working around fires (no manufacturers produce kit for bushcraft).
Under garments should be chosen well no matter what the outer, this is the comfort layer as it is next to the skin, merino wool, silk & meraklon are all good choices.
There are environments where trying to stay dry is pointless, instead you stay comfortable (the ethos behind Buffalo Gear),a good natural alternative is a ventile/wool combination, certainly when living with others in a confined area like at tent, BO can become a "grating" point and natural fibres win hands down in this scenario.
Neil

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Thanks Neil.I think ive narrowed it down to a Sass sas olive drab smock and drop liner or a ventile smock allso in olive drab.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE