Are you better than your knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

samthedog

Jun 12, 2009
Norway
As soon as your knife jumps out of storage on onto your hip by itself then so will I.:)

Although i get the point you are making, I think people need to understand the extent of their skills and shop wisely. I mean for most people a Mora is more than enough considering they may not spend much time in the woods/hunting/camping/carving. If you use the tool a great deal, you soo become aware of the quality of the metal and the nature of the knife (which comes from the grind, balance and the handle style). Having used knives a great deal throughout my life from hunting to carving, I can say that a mora would do me fine.

That said, I do have a Fallkniven H1 in 3G. Why? Because I could. I liked the knife and the use it would get justified me buying it. Can it out perform me? Dunno, I know there are other carvers and hunters who could with my knife. I think it matches my skills. If you can't use the knife safely, then your knife has the potential to "out perform" you. If you are used to knives with guards and are lazy with knife safety, even a steak knife is too much knife for you.

Paul.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I really don't get this knife worship thing. It's a tool and if you look after it it will allow you to do a job, end of story.
swiss_army.gif

I'm fairly lucky, over the years I've picked up some nice tools, but they don't improve the jobs I do with them, they're just nice to own and to use. A knife cannot convey some divine power or ability to the user and anyone who thinks they will is simply deluding themselves.

Flint provides a sharp edge and provided for humanity's needs for thousands of years, far longer than metal has. What any artisan will tell you is that it's not the tools you use, but what you do with them that is the real measure of a craftsman.

samthedog

Jun 12, 2009
Norway
What any artisan will tell you is that it's not the tools you use, but what you do with them that is the real measure of a craftsman.

True, but any decent artisan who takes pride in their work will usually have the best tools they can afford. As a carpenter I use good saws, chisels and hammers. Sure I can use cheap rubbish and get the job done but there is little joy to be had in fighting against an inferior tool while trying to get a good result. I don't worship knives and tools, but, I certainly appreciate the engineering and take good care of good equipment.

Paul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE