Are smart phones dumbing us down

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Weirdly enough I was under the impression that the increase in technology has helped democratise education from the well off elite to a far wider base. I suspect that exam results show this trend.

Yeah there will always be people who do nothing but update their facebook page all day "I'm just nipping to the bog for a poo LOL" but on balance I think its helping.

The universities are a bit worried at the moment because of the increase in online courses where a person doesn't have to spend thousands on a year at uni, they can do it from home. Admittedly I think they miss out on the whole living on their own thing but it does mean they finish the course without crippling debt. That to me is a good thing.

Now smartphones are good enough they are a part of the equation.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
The one i find absolutely terrifying ( being a motorcyclist myself ) are the headsets that go inside a helmet so that you can answer the 'phone when riding your motorbike ! complete madness in my opinion !

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
One of my pet hates is though I usually drive older cars not worth very much I still have spent a few quid and bought a hands free. Not that I use it unless in dire straights. Then you see a posh car where the driver could quite easily afford a hands free with a phone in hand at one ear.

I think CB and police coms are exempt as it's a single switch to talk, not a series of fiddly distracting buttons with a screen.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Weirdly enough I was under the impression that the increase in technology has helped democratise education from the well off elite to a far wider base. I suspect that exam results show this trend.

Yeah there will always be people who do nothing but update their facebook page all day "I'm just nipping to the bog for a poo LOL" but on balance I think its helping.

The universities are a bit worried at the moment because of the increase in online courses where a person doesn't have to spend thousands on a year at uni, they can do it from home. Admittedly I think they miss out on the whole living on their own thing but it does mean they finish the course without crippling debt. That to me is a good thing.

Now smartphones are good enough they are a part of the equation.

On that note:

[h=1]Jimmy Wales: Boring university lectures 'are doomed'[/h]"I was taking an advanced calculus class and my instructor was reputed to be a fabulous researcher, but he barely spoke English. He was a very boring and bad teacher and I was absolutely lost and in despair.
"So I went to the campus tutoring centre and they had Betamax tapes of a professor who had won teaching awards. Basically I sat with those tapes and took class there. But I still had to go to the other one and sat there and wanted to kill myself.

from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22160988

The other interesting thing I tripped over last night was a study on the social networks of the Hadza

[video=youtube;It-pHyDrkTM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It-pHyDrkTM[/video]

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Don't text and drive

Coincidentally, I came across this on Saturday...

horsetext1_zps75347501.jpg

When I suggested that texting whilst riding might be dangerous I was treated to a blank look.

The woman walking alongside looked like she was there under sufferance and obviously didn't give a damn so I looked about to see if there was a(nother) responsible adult in the group, and saw this...

horsetext2_zps25181963.jpg

There seems little hope sometimes.

Last edited:

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK

It depends on the subject.

If I was about to have an operation for a brain tumour I'd damn well want to know that the surgeon hadn't got his qualifications off Wikipedia.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I think Suzzannah's signature line sums it up quite nicely...

The Stone Age was defined by the clever use of crude tools, the Information Age is being defined by the crude use of very clever tools!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
It depends on the subject.

If I was about to have an operation for a brain tumour I'd damn well want to know that the surgeon hadn't got his qualifications off Wikipedia.

Very short sighted I know, but I'd be looking at how long they'e being doing it and what their results where, not where they got their cert from.

I think Suzzannah's signature line sums it up quite nicely...

The Stone Age was defined by the clever use of crude tools, the Information Age is being defined by the crude use of very clever tools!

ATB

Ogri the trog

:) Perfect.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Good point; that is the best indicator, but it is likely to be closely connected to the first topic.

:) Perfect.[/QUOTE]

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
This made me laugh

[video=youtube;oSJqBJ1TF-E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSJqBJ1TF-E&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a well put together video - if you can't get it now you deserve what you get, in my view.................atb mac

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
And there is more...

[video=youtube;rRwcIumf-mI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRwcIumf-mI[/video]

Girl sleeping in a sealed!? garbage bag. Darwin in action.

And the guy responding to the question of which colour idiot phone he's getting

"Gold... You think I'm going to stay here for 8 days and not get the gold, do you think I'm stupid?!"

Uhmm let me think on that...

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Coincidentally, I came across this on Saturday...

horsetext1_zps75347501.jpg

When I suggested that texting whilst riding might be dangerous I was treated to a blank look.

The woman walking alongside looked like she was there under sufferance and obviously didn't give a damn so I looked about to see if there was a(nother) responsible adult in the group, and saw this...

horsetext2_zps25181963.jpg

There seems little hope sometimes.

Haha! The situation looks familiar. And it is not okay.
I used to see teenagers riding with the phone in one hand and a cigarette in the other. Back in the days that is.
If it´s of any comfort (probably not), riders will not answer the phone if they are riding a young, skittish or unsafe horse.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE