Are rabbits indiginous to the UK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Venger

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
Nottingham
To poach Time Team (it was quick ..ok!)

Another important goddess was Eostre, goddess of the spring, dawn, new life and beginnings. She gave her name to the Christian spring festival of Easter, which was originally held on the same day as the festival of Eostre – 21 March, the spring equinox. The modern Easter symbolism of Easter eggs and the Easter bunny arise from pagan custom. The eggs symbolise fertility and rebirth. The rabbit (more properly the hare, which ancient folklore associates with laying eggs) was Eostre's sacred animal.

Although I'm not sure that there any evidence for this, unless you trust Bede (or wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eostre)

Nothing to do with Rabbits, but Easter yes :)

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
dave k said:
This is really interesting - My other half says a lot of the current Christian rituals and important dates are infact just stolen from the pagan calender. In the early days the church wanted to stop the spread of paganisim, so they stole all their best holidays and used them for their own..

Pagans are indiginous to the uk,
still not shore on the rabit

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Shambling Shaman said:
Pagans are indiginous to the uk,
Pagans were imported in to England by the Romans, they are not indigenous to the isles the term comes from paganus meaning villager, rustic, civilian," from pagus "rural district," it came to mean anyone who lived outside of a city or town
The current term was later used to mean likely “civilian, incompetent soldier and later to mean anyone who adheres to the old gods after the Christianisation of Roman towns and cities"

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Tadpole said:
Pagans were imported in to England by the Romans, they are not indigenous to the isles the term comes from paganus meaning villager, rustic, civilian," from pagus "rural district," it came to mean anyone who lived outside of a city or town
The current term was later used to mean likely “civilian, incompetent soldier and later to mean anyone who adheres to the old gods after the Christianisation of Roman towns and cities"
So the Druids were not hear before the Romans? or any type of Celt? :rolleyes: , Will agree with how the word arrived - so when the romans arrived the Pagans who were hear (the pepole who were living out side any city like systems that the romans liked) got that name. I belive that Heathen comes from harth dweler? Still thinking about the Rabbits :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
*Blue* when talking about the colour of animal fur is frequently used to mean dark grey.
My moggie is described on the Vet and insurance forms as a, " Short haired British Blue." and she's grey and white. :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Here is the book reference I spoke of earlier -

"The rabbit existed in Britain before the last Ice Age but then died out. There may have been attempts to reintroduce it during the Roman period but, so far as the evidence goes, the rabbit was but unknown to the Anglo-Saxons and did not become successfully re-established until after the Norman conquest"

Tom Williamson
The archaeology of rabbit warrens
ISBN 0-7478-0616-0

Viewed from the Continent, I can understand the Roman/Norman discussion in the UK. But I learned here in Belgium rabbits "were introduced around the year 1000 AD". So: no rabbits in the past on this side of the Channel either. At least in our part of Europe.

What makes it difficult is the continuous mixing up of names for hare and coney almost everywhere in Europe. Collins dictionary told me your word "rabbit" originated from the Walloon word "robette" . This name being taken from the Flemish "Robbe" ,short for "Robert". So, long long time ago, there must have existed a story about "Robert the rabbit" (who was a hare).

Oh: and the word Spain (Hispania) comes from a fenician word meaning "land of the klipdassies" (Procavia spp. - Fenicians had never seen rabbits either).

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
torjusg said:
How disappointing, I thought they really were blue. :( :eek:
Don't despair just yet I found this :D

Mountain or blue hares are slightly smaller than brown hares and have shorter ears. They live mainly on rocks in the Scottish mountains, although there is one population living in the Peak District. They choose a terrain with enough cover to avoid their enemies, such as eagles or buzzards. During winter their coat turns white, camouflaging them against the snow. They are called blue hares because their fur has a bluish appearance in the spring and autumn when the white hairs of the winter coat are mixed with the brown hairs of the summer coats. The ear tips always remain black

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE