Are lumps of cast iron any use to the smiths ?

EdS

Got to agree with Robin on this one. When we played it at school the Knurr was the ball (seem to remember golf balls being used) and the spell launched it. Our where a simple cup on a stick affair -- like a spoon real, with a another underneath by the "cup" end. Then you stamped on the handle end to launchthe knurr.

The bit you hit hte knurr wit hwas just called a bat.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
...pronounced cowp not coop.

I did a bit of a search using phonetics and the rooting is ...

There's not one word I used that's odd, it's you lot that don't understand plain English :p

... French :rofl: :p . _Plain_ English? No real beastie past the cauldron of myth, amalgamation and theft ;) ~ have you come across the book '1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue' by Francis Grose? It's available as a free download from kindle (??possibly others??)

N.B. In this instance, Vulgar Tongue is what we would now call colloquialisms or slang ;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahh so - we agree on the "non Sprung" Ed - but you and Robin agree the spell is the launcher :D

We should just make one and have a game to settle it!

Now I am from skittle country - so I need a head start!

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
sorry for the knurr and spell digression hope folk don't mind. This is an interesting link giving lots of similar games, lots fo different names and local customs all very interesting, http://www.tradgames.org.uk/games/knur-spell.htm
This pic of a chap pressing his heads is identical to the old press my mate Andy uses. We took well seasoned apple wood and compressed it from 2" thick down to less than 1", the difference in how a knurr bounced of it was remarkable.
nipsyDYouel.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fascinating stuff - but in the article that reads as part of the game of "nipsy" rather than knurr & spell?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....A knurr is a wee carved ball and a spell is a spill, though we'd use them at the fire to take a light, not a whacking great stick of a thing.
Is it not a kind of golf clay pigeon shoot thing ? Like a camachd stick and a ball but not a team game, just one man and a thing to launch the ball ?

cheers,
M

Sounds like a batting cage.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm enjoying it :D it's kind of why I joined the forum; the sheer range of topics keeps it interesting.

French :rolleyes: I know I cook with French terms, but I didn't know just how many other words came across too.

Talking of games....petanque...............bools, boules, bowls, sort of.....:D

atb,
M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahh but in petanque its a sort of underarm limp wristed "chuck" as opposed to the roll of bowls.....I like petanque more!

Last edited:

horsevad

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2009
Denmark
(...)
It's cast iron. Is it of any use to any of the smiths if there's any smithing going on at a meet up that I'm likely to get to ?
(...)

Cast Iron is useless for forging applications. The high carbon content and crystal structure makes it very different to forged steel.

It _can_ be made into usefull steel, but that would require the use of a tatara or similar process.

BTW, Cast Iron should be recycled - you may even get paid for it. Round here scrap metal is worth about 1 DKR pr kg.

//Kim Horsevad

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
well if we can get back on the original thread start I've just got hold of 13 of those sash window counter weights so what are they made of and what can they be used for regards dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE