Are lumps of cast iron any use to the smiths ?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd actually pre vaselined my nose as I knew certain elements would be rubbing my nose in it! ;)

Yes it's a very nice example Red and I'm most jealous.

Any hoo here's a nice bit which explains them better than I.

http://www.blogstaugustinelighthouse.org/blog/lamposts/iron_cauldrons.php

All I won't is a little one, 2 or 3 quarts.

Atb

Tom

Ours is ickle - One quart at most - but we did have to tip the man at the scrapyard a quid for it :)

They cost a mint unless you fall over one as we did though - I once saw a huge one in a garden used as a planter - was so tempted to bang on the door and offer them a hundred quid for it!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Toddy how big are the weights? I might have a use for a few of them.

Tattie weights or the sash window ones ?

3lbs, 5lbs, 7lbs, 14lbs, and sort of rectangular with handles, the sash weight is about the size and shape of a middling black pudding.

Up front, postage would be a right pain.....why I asked about the smiths at any meet up I got to.

Nice link StJon

cheers,
Toddy

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
:duh:
Tattie scales.....and the coup is where we coup the rubbish :D ...pronounced cowp not coop.

There's not one word I used that's odd, it's you lot that don't understand plain English :p

A knurr is a wee carved ball and a spell is a spill, though we'd use them at the fire to take a light, not a whacking great stick of a thing.
Is it not a kind of golf clay pigeon shoot thing ? Like a camachd stick and a ball but not a team game, just one man and a thing to launch the ball ?

cheers,
M

A ken whit ye ment

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
As an American who has lived in the UK for over 8yrs this has to be the best post I have seen here so far. Will look back at it after my jaws stop hurting from laughter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE