Are either of these ideas sensible?

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
Got a couple of tools i'm looking to modify, but i really know very little about the process, which is sort of why i want to do it :D

First: I have a double edged machete which i bought from a Masai, problem obviously is that it is double edged which makes it a pickle to work with and frightening. So i was wondering if, using a bench grinder or something, i could take off one of the edges and change the point - changing it from the curved spear shape it is now to something like the shape of a parang like the mears uses. ?????

Second: Got my first proper knife, guess what...its a Mora clipper!! But the handle is just solid red, which isn't to my own aesthetic tastes (tho it really doesnt matter). So would i be able to paint the plastic? Or would it need dying? Or would neither really work and just leave my hands covered in smudges and the handle even uglier than now. ?????

Thanks.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Not sure about reprofiling the blade but I'm sure it could be done a bench grinder and a bit of patience.

If you really don't like the red handle on your Mora there are plastic paints available which would probably do the job. Plasticote is one which comes to mind, B&Q sell it I think. If you get the keying and priming stages right it's pretty good stuff.

yes you can reprofile the machettee as long as you dont over heat the cutting edge it will be fine best would be a big belt sander and a heavy belt :D

a bench grinder will be oks have a bucket of water handy to keep it cool f needed

you could probably do it by hand with files and wet n dry but may take a while

Dunno if you can do anything about a plastic handle on the mora other than cut it off and fit a differnt one maybe wrap it in string etc

ATB

Duncan

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Re: the Mora handle.

You could wrap it in tape (cheap option) but i wouldn't go to the trouble of buying plastic paint, just buy another knife it's cheaper;)

What sort of Mora is it, you could always re-handle it?

Richard

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Re: the Mora handle.

You could wrap it in tape (cheap option) but i wouldn't go to the trouble of buying plastic paint, just buy another knife it's cheaper;)

Richard

Yeah good point Richard, I think the last time I bought plasticote it was about £6 a tin so it's probably more like £8 or £9 now.

Just by another :rolleyes:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Wrap some green hairy string around the handle. At the end of the day, it's for cutting not looking at but I agree with the aesthetics of things. At least with it being red you aren't going to lose it if you accidentally drop it in long grass!

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
s7000153large.jpg

Theres the machete, have just quickly sketched on it how i would reshape it...i think :)

yep no problem grinding i can see even a bit of colour on the back wont matter its a long way from the edge.

i would cut the tip back with an angle grinder to save a lot of work wearing it off

do it on a wet peice of turf and not to deep at a pass pluss a little water to add etc again a bit of colour wont hurt
you could also use teh angel grinder to take the back down fairly quickly
oh if you dont know what your doing with an angel grinder let some one who does do it :D

ATB

Duncan

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
As mentioned earlier to remedy the knife handle you could whip it. I would choose a colour or colours of your choice in cotton or silk thread then seal it with varnish rather than string as it would add more bulk than thread

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
they sent me the wrong Mora, so i got a new clipper with the black/green handle, much nicer, and i get to keep the red one :D two knives for £12.

about the machette, is there anyone out there who would be willing to do the work? if so what sort of price would you be looking for? (i realized...i don't know anyone with a bench grinder lol!)

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
If the double edge is an issue just file one side to make it blunt.
I don't see the point in going through the hassle of changing the profile, it's not going to make much difference to the business end.
I suppose it depends whether you want to chop things with it or look at it?

My machete is totally blunt on the curve at the end - it was never sharpened when it was made - for its purpose that part of the blade will never see any action anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE