Are axes covered by UK Knife law?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GreyDog

Mar 24, 2021
Holmfirth
With UK Knife Law being so restrictive on fixed/locking blades I was thinking of carrying my smallest hatchet (0.5kg head, 34.5cm handle) in my rucksack along with my Silky and SAK, that would see me through anything I need to do as I never actually fell trees - but am I legal carrying the hatchet?

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Yes, I think this section is still relevant. Doesn't discriminate between a knife or axe, all bladed articles. Good reason defence applies

Section 139 of the Criminal Justice Act (CJA) 1988 prohibits having an article with blade or point, in a public place (including a folding pocket knife if the cutting edge of its blade exceeds 7.62cm (3 inches)).

Reactions: Danqrl

GreyDog

Mar 24, 2021
Holmfirth
Thanks Alan. You might have saved me a stretch at Her majesty's pleasure there.

Has anyone on here been arrested for carrying a knife or axe whilst on the way to or in the outdoors? How did the police respond and deal with you?

Last edited:

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
The thing to ask yourself is, Am I acting in a way that would make people feel in danger, Am I acting in a way that a Policeman/woman would feel obliged to stop and search me.
If you are acting in a normal way, and any knives or axes are not in sight, packed away in your pack, then the chance of being stopped is minimal.
If by chance you are stopped, and you can give a reasonable excuse why you are carrying a knife or axe, then you will not have a problem, and of course the other thing to remember is your demeanour, if you start arguing, or start shouting that you are entitled to carry knives etc, then the chances are you are in trouble, be smart be dumb.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Thanks Alan. You might have saved me a stretch at Her majesty's pleasure there.

Has anyone on here been arrested for carrying a knife or axe whilst on the way to or in the outdoors? How did the police respond and deal with you?
Ref Section 139, it should be read in its entirety, especially looking at the exceptions.rather than a definition that is incomplete.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Always down to interpretation, but a hatchet is mostly classed as a tool to everyone. It is the intention of use.

I carry an axe in the car with a saw, I live in the countryside where trees fall in the road, but if I lived in the town it would be viewed differently.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Yes, I think this section is still relevant. Doesn't discriminate between a knife or axe, all bladed articles. Good reason defence applies

Section 139 of the Criminal Justice Act (CJA) 1988 prohibits having an article with blade or point, in a public place (including a folding pocket knife if the cutting edge of its blade exceeds 7.62cm (3 inches)).
It does NOT prohibit having these items in a public place, it makes the possession of them without good reason or lawful authority an offence. Using them as a tool and taking them to or from a place where they will be used as a tool is clear good reason.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
The OP asked the question
am I legal carrying the hatchet?
I said
ie he would be legal if he can prove good reason or lawful authority. So I think we agree??

He is not legal without good reason, ie it's not like a small SAK where you don't need good reason as the hatchet does count as a bladed article under S139

Is that how you interpret it?

GreyDog

Mar 24, 2021
Holmfirth
The thing to ask yourself is, Am I acting in a way that would make people feel in danger, Am I acting in a way that a Policeman/woman would feel obliged to stop and search me.
If you are acting in a normal way, and any knives or axes are not in sight, packed away in your pack, then the chance of being stopped is minimal.
If by chance you are stopped, and you can give a reasonable excuse why you are carrying a knife or axe, then you will not have a problem, and of course the other thing to remember is your demeanour, if you start arguing, or start shouting that you are entitled to carry knives etc, then the chances are you are in trouble, be smart be dumb.
Yes, that's how I feel about it exactly, thanks Fatcode. I always make it a rule to be polite to police officers (even when they're not) and would never be waving blades around or wearing them like a badge. Most of my 'carrying' is while fishing, on a canoe trip or on my way to such. Everything is packed away in a tool roll in my pack and only comes out when needed. I've never been challenged by police (though not sure I've actually seen one whilst carrying). Maybe I've acquired a slight paranoia whilst in lockdown and watch Youtube vids on legal carry!

GreyDog

Mar 24, 2021
Holmfirth
The OP asked the question

I said

ie he would be legal if he can prove good reason or lawful authority. So I think we agree??

He is not legal without good reason, ie it's not like a small SAK where you don't need good reason as the hatchet does count as a bladed article under S139

Is that how you interpret it?
Yes I think so. Fishing or canoeing are good reasons, for me. Everday-wise, I only ever have a SAK or small Leatherman (non-locking).

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Yes, that's how I feel about it exactly, thanks Fatcode. I always make it a rule to be polite to police officers (even when they're not) and would never be waving blades around or wearing them like a badge. Most of my 'carrying' is while fishing, on a canoe trip or on my way to such. Everything is packed away in a tool roll in my pack and only comes out when needed. I've never been challenged by police (though not sure I've actually seen one whilst carrying). Maybe I've acquired a slight paranoia whilst in lockdown and watch Youtube vids on legal carry!
Thank you for reminding me to stick to my diet..........:):):)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE