Arctic/cold climates survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Yep reindeer stomach is a delicasy!! A sort of green puree or porrige.
And the moss itself can be eaten but it needs to be correctly prepared as its too acidic for our little tummys.

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
TheViking said:
.....'Jeger' is two things: Their Special Air Service (in denmark it's hunter-corp) or a hunter. :wink: If you're being teached by Jegers it will probably mean SAS, but if we're talking about a person who's shooting an animal it would probably be a hunter. :wink: Hope you get it.
But in this case it is their SAS. :biggthump

Nope, these Jeger soldiers are not the same thing as the SAS. A "Jeger" soldier is just a ranger. The Norwegian equvivelant of the SAS (they train and are/have also been employed together with the SAS - rumor say that they have at times been deployed with the SAS in Northern Ireland) is the "Forsvarets Spesial Kommando (FSK)" - these guys are picked for the selection course and training from the "Jeger Kommando" and the "Marinejeger Kommando" (something like the british SBS). When they have passed the selection course they have to sign a contract for 7 yrs of duty. They are currently deployed heavily in Afghanistan together with the SAS and Delta Force.

Gary said:
Yep reindeer stomach is a delicasy!! A sort of green puree or porrige. And the moss itself can be eaten but it needs to be correctly prepared as its too acidic for our little tummys.
Yes, Gary, reindeer stomach is a delicacy amongst the eskimo, some of the sami people and the siberian peoples, but it taste like sh** !!
I've tried something like a spoonful, and man did it turn something in my stomach :yuck:
The moss (Cetraria islandica - I looked up the latin name just now) can be prepared for eating by cooking it in a lye solution, and then rinse and clean it a couple of times with clean water. The reindeer stomach can absorb most of the nutrients etc in the moss, but humans can only absorb a fraction of that (too acidic like Gary said) - unless it is prepared in the way described. To get it somewhat more tasty you can boil it again with some bouillon (beef cubes).
I was instructing on a course up in the Lifjell mountains in Telemark a couple of years back where the students had to eat what they found survival style. A lot of this moss was found, but for some reason a lot of them didn't eat the stuff and went really hungry for most of the week - and to be honest I don't blame them as I have tasted a lot better disgusting food than that.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Tvividr said:
Nope, these Jeger soldiers are not the same thing as the SAS. A "Jeger" soldier is just a ranger. The Norwegian equvivelant of the SAS (they train and are/have also been employed together with the SAS - rumor say that they have at times been deployed with the SAS in Northern Ireland) is the "Forsvarets Spesial Kommando (FSK)" - these guys are picked for the selection course and training from the "Jeger Kommando" and the "Marinejeger Kommando" (something like the british SBS). When they have passed the selection course they have to sign a contract for 7 yrs of duty. They are currently deployed heavily in Afghanistan together with the SAS and Delta Force.
OK. :wink: I was not sure. It's just easier to say SAS instead of explaining differences and stuff. In Denmark we have a Huntercorp which is the equivalent to the SAS and they also train and fight with them. We also have SBS.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE