Arctic 2010 Exped attendees discussions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 2, 2009
Edinburgh
Hey guys,

me and Em (partner) are almost set!

Taken the day off tomorrow to pack and sort out stuff as we're heading to Oslo for a 3 nights before (and one night on the way back) so I can say my holiday involved a hotel at some point haha.

Looks like its gonna be nice and fresh on the monday (-20 at night) :p

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/01023.html

I'm taking my nikon d40 slr as I'm a bit of a photographer (on a limited budget)....

Kit-wise....got a nice 2nd hand phd hispar sleeping bag, exped 7 normal and a rab storm bivi. bag was used to 0deg last weekend fine and I was toasting, its rated for -21deg in theory, can't wait to put it to the test! We are both in reality novices at bushcraft so be easy on us to! I walk and camp a fair bit but in all that time I've only used my penknive once.

See you guys soon.

Oh...just to confirm that we still need to hire one sleeping bag, thats all.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
We are both in reality novices at bushcraft so be easy on us to!

No worries, we are all still learning.

Am really looking forward to the team aspect, given the location and nature of the exped, the more we all rely on each other and chip in, the more enjoyable it will be.

I mean.......Woody has already threatened to do the cooking....gawd help us :lmao:

Tom

Gailainne

Life Member
No worries, we are all still learning.

Am really looking forward to the team aspect, given the location and nature of the exped, the more we all rely on each other and chip in, the more enjoyable it will be.

I mean.......Woody has already threatened to do the cooking....gawd help us :lmao:

Tom

That's a very good point, well made, the old adage of "many hands make light work" is never truer on one of these courses, everyone gets the chores done, and then we all have more time to enjoy one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

Here's to having briiiii cold weather, Northern lights and clear night sky's to enjoy the stars, and if I'm being greedy, snow we can make an igloo from (really want to do that sometime),cheap Leuku's and reindeer skins :lmao:

See some of you at Heathrow, easily spotted, dressed in green with huge boots, and the rest in Oslo/Bardufoss.

Tony mate I thought you were coming along? what happened?

Cheers

Stephen (who still hasn't packed, live on the edge me :rolleyes:)

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
I too thought Tony was coming?
Must get a move on, it's almost 01:30, I'm not packed and I leave for Heathrow in six hours ...
My billycan hadn't arrived today when I got home from work so I was wondering if anyone was under the weight limit who had a spare, I would buy it off them if they were kind enough to bring it along?
Seeing the Northern Lights would be a huge bonus!

Cheers.
P.S. setting off soon; anyone know of any billycan shops near Heathrow ?

Last edited:

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
I too thought Tony was coming?
Must get a move on, it's almost 01:30, I'm not packed and I leave for Heathrow in six hours ...
My billycan hadn't arrived today when I got home from work so I was wondering if anyone was under the weight limit who had a spare, I would buy it off them if they were kind enough to bring it along?
Seeing the Northern Lights would be a huge bonus!

Cheers.
P.S. setting off soon; anyone know of any billycan shops near Heathrow ?

There is an army surplus store in Hayes called 'All Weather Corner' they should have mess tins. Its not far from Heathrow at all.

Barry

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Im confused - when i go online some screens say the 7:20 from heathrow on the sunday is going from t1 and others say t5 - i was assuming T5 - is anybody able to set me right or wrong on the point - just my stupid luck to turn up at the wrong one.

go confused la la laaa etc

cheers
Nick

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
Hi Nick

all the info i've been given states that the flight is going from T5. That's where i'm planning on going, unless I hear otherwise.

Are we all planning on meeting in the departure hall at a coffee shop? Any one in particular?

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Here you go :)

Flight details
Flight: BA0762 Non smoking
Operated by: British Airways
Departing from: Heathrow (London) Terminal 5
Sun 14 February 2010, 07:20
Arriving at: Oslo
Sun 14 February 2010, 10:30
Number of stops: 0
Flying duration: 2hrs 10mins
Aircraft type: Airbus A320 jet

I'll be :drive: to T5 :D

Tom

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Are we all planning on meeting in the departure hall at a coffee shop? Any one in particular?

For folks flying Sunday morning from T5 Heathrow.

I need to meet GearGuru prior to dropping off checked luggage. (Spare sleeping bag)
After that am planning on going through security asap and meeting folks at a coffee shop on the dark side.....

I've provided my cell number to CDC and GearGuru, if anyone else wants to swap numbers let me know via PM.

Cheers

Tom

Jun 18, 2009
Herts
....... as you arrive....
Woody

Question for Woody. If (for any reason) we are struggling to do the "as you arrive" bit because flights are delayed due to snakes on the plane, the wrong kind of ice, baggege handllers can't be ar@*ed to get out of bed etc. What's a good number to contact you on and let you know?

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
You not going now Tony?,

I hope you havent deserted us cause at the last minute that Ray Mears dude phoned you up and made you an offer you couldnt refuse.

"Ray" - Tony, if you dont come on my £2,000,000.00 arctic expedition, you will sleep with the fishes.

"Tony" - Yeah Mears, why would i come on your crappy wee exped, and dont try threatening me, ive already had that Bear guy putting horses heads in my double bed, made a right mess of my Egyptian cotton sheets with all that blood i tell you.

"Ray" - I will give you a free woodlore badge if you come and ditch all those smelly know it all Bcuk members.

"Tony" - Yeah all right sounds too good to turn it down, a free woodlore badge in exchange for £2,0000,00000,0000,0000 for your arctic trip, i think ive won a watch on this one...

But in all seriousness (not) is it cause your running scared of all our manly 5 foot long beardies that we have grown, (stuck on with super glue!)

Maybe see you on the next one mate, you can start growing that beard now if it will help and try changing your phone number so that Mears dude cant bother you no more...

All the best

Colin

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
NOW CORRECT NUMBER TO PHONE NOW GIVEN IN POST #455

Hope this helps guys

Mods, if i shouldnt of put this number up, please remove it, if you want to shout at me for it you will find me in the 4th igloo on the left, just past santas crib, right next door to Pingu....

Colin

Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE