Arctic 2010 Exped attendees discussions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Woody/anyone else that knows..

I have some ESS goggle for the trip. They have a clear lens but are UV protective. Will I need something with a tinted lens as well to deal with glare?

If so I can pack some tinted goggles or sunglasses.

Thanks

Barry

Ross Bowyer

Apr 29, 2004
kendal
Due to the time of the year, the sun will be very low/below the horizon so glare will never be a problem.

Looking forward to meeting you guys.

Woody

Forager
........ " just got to get some local money for the extras etc, how much are you guys thinking of taking for the extras?"

.............. are the gaiters a must, i do have a couple of pairs but with my sorrel caribou boots im not sure they will fit over them as i ordered the boots 1 size bigger..

Colin,

All costs are below: Exchange rate is currently 1:9.35 (Correct at time of writing)

Regards Gaiters, there are other options such as puttee's or "wraps'' .. basically a cloth tape that you wrap around the bottom of your trousers to stop them riding up when you walk in deep snow. (I use these but have also seen Sami guys use electrical tape!) what you are trying to achieve is to prevent snow going down the top of your boots, melting and wetting your boot liners/socks

I hope this makes sense!

Woody

All arrangements are being made on your behalf with the local suppliers and any activities undertaken/facilities used are done so under the terms and conditions of the local supplier.

Every thing will be offered on a first come basis and will be available from the Monday evening through to Friday evening. I would suggest that rather than book your places now you wait until you are in country and decide then as groups will be sleeping out/working in the fire house etc on some evenings.

All monies are payable in Norwegian Krone and are to be paid in advance, (of the activity) in-country.

Dog Sledging

3 hours dog sledding (approx) – this would have to be conducted in the evening (This is a normal practice) and would include the following:

¯ Local Guide
¯ A team of 4 Sled dogs.
¯ Traditional wooden sled and dog harnesses
¯ Full instruction

(This can be arranged during the day with a minimum of people but would mean you missing out on some expedition activity)

Cost: NOK 600 per person

Sauna House.

This facility takes 5 hours to get up and running and consists of a changing cabin, sauna and traditional Scandinavian wash facility. It can accommodate a maximum of 8 – 10 people at a time

Cost per evening (For the whole facility for approx 2 - 3 hours)
NOK 800 (approx £85.00)

If you would like to use the Sauna it is suggested that you get as many people together on any one night and share the cost – 8 in during the first hour and 8 in during the second hour (16 total) would bring the price to about £5.30 a head -You will probably only want to be in there for about 40 mins!!

Outdoor Hot Tub

This facility takes 5 - 6 hours to heat up and consists of a changing cabin and outdoor hot tub. It can accommodate 6 - 8 people at a time

Cost per evening (approx 2 – 3 hours) NOK 600 (approx £65.00)

Again, it is suggested that you get as many people interested in using this facility and share the cost – Unless of course Santa was good to you this year and you are feeling generous and flush!!

Traditional Scandinavian Post Sauna/Hot tub roll in the snow.

This facility takes millennia to get ready/perfect and is only available between October and April and is conducted at the individuals own risk!! The activity includes/requires the following:

¯ Full use of all available snow
¯ A perverse penchant for pain *
¯ Testicular appendages in the "size of a rugby ball" category *

* Provided by the individual participant

Cost per participant: Gratis / FOC / Nada / Nihil

If any one has any questions please feel free to drop us a line in the Bushcraft Expeditions office: inforequest@bushcraftexpeditions.com
(Manned again from 04/01/10) or drop me a line on here

Finally, I hope you all have a Happy, Prosperous and joyful New Year

Woody

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
G1000 outer,down filled Fjalraven parka ( Not waterproof ) or double ventile thick smock with wool under ( waterproof,but will go stiff if wet and then freezes ) ????
None of my gortex will fit over either ( not keen on it at -temps as I run hot and it doesn't work well for me-condensation build up!!)
I'm thinking Ventile,I can shake it out if it freezes.
What thinks you Cats??
Cheers.
C da C.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
G1000 outer,down filled Fjalraven parka ( Not waterproof ) or double ventile thick smock with wool under ( waterproof,but will go stiff if wet and then freezes ) ????
None of my gortex will fit over either ( not keen on it at -temps as I run hot and it doesn't work well for me-condensation build up!!)
I'm thinking Ventile,I can shake it out if it freezes.
What thinks you Cats??
Cheers.
C da C.

I've got a spare goretex jacket it fits me and I'm XL / XXL 48" chest plus garb.....
Yours to borrow if needed?

What size are you?

Tom

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Thanks Woody for the tip on the putties, i have now ordered a pair from surplus and outdoors, not bad at £6.99, there was no way any of my gaiters were going over my caribou boots as they are well bigger than my normal hiking boots...

Not long now, is any one kipping over night at the airport in Oslo, i dont get in to
Oslo until 22.50 on the 13th of february and i dont see the point in spending £80 for just a few hours kip, so i will be dossing down in the airport overnight...

I will keep a look out for any dudes with 3 foot long beards and 14 layers of clothing on...

We should all try to meet somewhere at Oslo airport, we could all wear red carnations and carry a copy of fox and hounds magazine LOL

Colin

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Regards Gaiters.........but have also seen Sami guys use electrical tape!...................

Beware, wrapping several layers of electrical tape tightly around your lower, mid or upper calf 'will' reduce blood flow to an extremity that needs unencumbered blood flow to maintain heat and dexterity :eek:
(Their is also a small pump in the base of our feet that operates when we walk, this aids circulation)

Not saying electrical tape is bad, just advising folks do not wrap it too tight...goodjob

An alternative is a single wrap of duck tape....it is so sticky it does not need to be wrapped tightly to adhere to both boot and trouser.

Just my 10c ;)

peve3

Sep 21, 2009
Basingstoke
Just found out there are no overseas charges should you have a Nationwide card in Norway. Might help a few people as then you wont need to carry so much cash.

Having said that i'm pretty sure we cant use use chip and pin for the sledding..... :lmao:

Gailainne

Life Member
I received a pair of 1" wide elasticated wrist bands a few years ago, connect with velcro, a freebie as part of a buy from the states, they are brilliant at attaching jackets and such to bag straps for going thro customs, much better than sweltering under mutli-layers :cool:

BTW anybody looked at the weather forecast for next weekend yet, bring your waterproofs, it looks like your going to need them :(, lets hope this cold front coming in drops the temp significantly.

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Woody

Will there be a chance to buy any souvenirs at any point? I'd quite like a local knife or fur hat and wondered if an opportunity might come up.

Thanks

Barry

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Thats me just about fully packed and ready to go now, the rest of the week cant pass fast enough for me now, although an extra few days beard growth wont go wrong, not with woody probably putting up as a prize, 10 years worth of free expeds to the person with the best beard. If he does, i hope he starts running expeds to Jamaica and Barbados.

I hope my airline, that im flying with dont loose my baggage, what a downer that would be, All my best kit in one place being handled by a guy who just dont care about throwing bags around, oh it makes me shudder. Suppose i better take a credit card with me just in case. Excuse to buy new kit if it did happen. lol

This time next week, we can start a new competition, whos got best frost bite, I reckon we could have a few prizes for that one. for instance, we could give the winner one boot, second place one glove etc as thats all they would need lol.

Really looking forward to this trip and meeting all you cool guys and girls...

Colin

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
Anyone know if the lavvu floors are covered as my exped mat is not gonna arrive in time, so I'm having to rethink my insulation options (unless I can find a shop en-route on friday ... )

Cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE