Arctic 2010 Exped attendees discussions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Thanks for the research Tom, that plan you put together looks like my option using KLM from Glasgow, with 1 stop in Amsterdam then in Oslo for 2250 on the 13th and flying out on the 21st for about £200.

Looks like im not going to do better than that, but thanks for the effort, now just a question of either dossing overninght twice in airports or getting a room in Oslo which seem to be going for £85 min a night...

Merry Chrimbo

Colin

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Ryanair (Beware the planes have outside toilets and they still charge for their use)

Glasgow to Torp (See the notes re Oslo's three airports and how to get FROM Torp airport to Gardermoen (OSL) for the rendezvous

Going Out

Adult 11.99 GBP
Fri, Feb 12 Flight FR7802
Depart Prestwick 06:10
Arrive 08:50 Oslo (Torp) (TRF)

Coming Back

Adult 18.99 GBP Sun, Feb 21 Flight FR7803
Depart 21.25 Oslo (Torp) (TRF)
Arrive Glasgow (Prestwick) (PIK) 22.10

So it is 2 days early and one day after drop off at Gardermoen....
But for £43 round trip inc taxes and online booking from Glasgow, ya could dump much of your gear at a lock up at Gardermoen airport and just take in the sights of Oslo and find a cheap B+B.....

Just a thought
Tom

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Cheers Tom,

That is another option i suppose, im just always wary of all the hidden costs with ryan air, but i will certainly look into it.

Im now at the stage where my brain is getting pickled looking at all the options, ive been at it for most of the day, im not booking yet - I just know there is a cheap direct easy option out there.

Thanks Tom for all your hard work on this, now if you could get me a cheap holiday to the west indies for a £5 to recover from all this flight surfing on the internet, then i will be most impressed..

Speak to you later

Colin

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
I'm really looking forward to the course now. Gonna be a long few weeks waiting to get to the far north.

I'm really looking forward to ice fishing and will be bringing a few of my own bits to try out. Looking forward to building shelters and sleeping out, dog sledging and maybe seeing a bit of northern lights.

Should be an ace week. What's everyone else looking forward to?

Barry

peve3

Sep 21, 2009
Basingstoke
Right just booked my flights im going to Switzerland after the trip for a week so only took a single into Oslo

These are my times:

13:00 -1615 12 Feb
Heathrow (London) - Oslo Gardermoen
BA0766

Total cost for this was £46 using BA Miles.

Then I will be staying in a Youth Hostel in Oslo called Haraldsheim this is a 40 min bus trip from Gardermoen but is the nearest youth hostel to the Airport. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&source=hp&ie=UTF8&q=oslo+youth+hostel&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=youth+hostel&hnear=oslo&view=map&ei=mbQmS6y3Loek4Qb_mrnyCQ&ved=0CBgQtQMwAA

Hostel works out at £45 for the 2 nights using a YHA card as well ( Saves £3 per Night ) have not booked this yet as im still looking. But might give an idea to a cheaper way to do it. Also some hostels allow you to sleep outside on there land for a very cheap fee and as your carrying most of the stuff needed to do this, its another idea i'm looking at.

http://haraldsheim.no/

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Hi mate, i just got the phone number from bushcraft expeditions website and paid directly over the phone, took 2 minutes, all paid, yeh starting to get excited now, all flights and insurance booked, just a hotel room for 2 nights and a few kit nick nacks to go..

All the best

Colin...

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Hi mate, i just got the phone number from bushcraft expeditions website and paid directly over the phone, took 2 minutes, all paid, yeh starting to get excited now, all flights and insurance booked, just a hotel room for 2 nights and a few kit nick nacks to go..

All the best

Colin...

Yep, as per Colin, did same and it is nice and easy.

Roll on February, looking forward to meeting everyone :mexwave:

On another note!
I was thinking of asking Santa to bring me a camcorder, however before I do is anyone else thinking of recording the event?

Tom

Gailainne

Life Member
Yep, as per Colin, did same and it is nice and easy.

Roll on February, looking forward to meeting everyone :mexwave:

On another note!
I was thinking of asking Santa to bring me a camcorder, however before I do is anyone else thinking of recording the event?

Tom

On the camcorder, I've been looking at a Sanyo xacti WH1, its waterproof to 10 ft, for camping/canoe trips, but should handle snow no problem.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
On the camcorder, I've been looking at a Sanyo xacti WH1, its waterproof to 10 ft, for camping/canoe trips, but should handle snow no problem.

Near water the Xacti sounds the business...
After doing a little research :rolleyes: ....I was looking at either the Panasonic HDC-HS300, the Sony HDR-XR520V or the Canon Legria HF S11 Camcorder

Undecided as yet though! :dunno:

Tom

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Anybody know anything about the dog sledding - is it on & how mutch?

Also does anybody have any idea concerning the amount of Noggie cash we may need etc

Cheers
Nick

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Anybody know anything about the dog sledding - is it on & how mutch?

Also does anybody have any idea concerning the amount of Noggie cash we may need etc

Cheers
Nick

Nick, I mailed Bushcraft Expeditions about booking activities (on Tony's advice) and they advised that a post will be put on the Forum where people can sign up to the activities taking place.

All the best.

Barry

GearGuru

Forager
Jun 7, 2006
Market Deeping
anyone going from LHR on Sunday 7.20
and returning sat on the 5.10 with BA?

wheres is the cheapest site to go from ?

my brain hurts from trying all the options!!!

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
anyone going from LHR on Sunday 7.20
and returning sat on the 5.10 with BA?

Barry, Chris, Moi and a few others :)
Sticking to plan 'A' here

wheres is the cheapest site to go from ?

If you mean flights? Not convinced their is a cheap site!
Some airlines are cheaper than others but time is ticking and options are lessening!

Has anyone heard of this being an option while we are there - I'd love to have a go!!
Not sure about this one cochese! You been on the 4X again? :lmao:

Tom

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
Hi guys

just managed to get my flights booked for the trip. I'll also be flying out on the 0720 flight on Sunday and coming back on the Saturday 1710 flight from Oslo.

Now, just need to get some more equipment and then i'm all sorted.

Any particular plans for those leaving on the Sunday? Tom?

See you all soon

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
just a point to think on if any one hasnt booked their flights yet, with this BA strike at xmas being made illegal i read that the union will be run another ballot in the next 3 weeks and then most likely go out in strike straigtht away, so that could be in begining of February guys, so definetely think it would be worth keeping an eye on this and having a contingency plan if the strike does go ahead. I hope not, cause it would be a real shame to start a great week worrying about flights ect...

Colin...

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
BA strike...........could be in begining of February guys...........having a contingency plan if the strike does go ahead.....

Colin...

Aha my dear Watson.......Always have a plan 'B'
'If' BA strike :eek:

• Pop snow tyres on me range rover and I'll
  • :drive: to Harwich and catch a ferry to Esbjerg
  • :drive:Drive from Esbjerg to Frederikshavn
  • Catch the ferry from Frederikshavn to Oslo Gardermoen airport (OSL)
  • Catch the scheduled Norwegian Airlines flight to Bardufoss

Room for three others too.....

Failing that there is always the :canoe:
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Edit ---- Having just read Colin's email below...If BA go on Strike we could just hire a couple of mini buses and take the above route.
Jeez that would be a hoot...... :)
Tom

Last edited:

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
MOST IMPRESSED :You_Rock_

If this weather continues to February, we could always carve a few paddles and hitch our selves to a passing ice berg, im sure i just saw one pass by the window....

I really hope this strike gets sorted before then, by the look of it, posts wise, it seems most people are flying with BA for the 1st leg of the trip, would be a real shame for a great adventure to be sullied by our trolley dollley friends in the sky!:rant:

So as Tom has done, well worth a think about plan B...

Colin...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE