Arctic 2010 Exped attendees discussions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
They certainly look like mine fella!
make sure you get a bigger size for extra socks! Tight boots mean cold feet in the Arctic!
My best.
Chris.

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
I'm twitching here waiting to book my 1st leg of the flight:) Looks like i'm going to Oslo on the Saturday and spend the night in an airport hotel before getting the connection North the next day.

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Hi all.

I'm on the trip and looking forward to heading north. I was up in Sweden for a week in February this year and had a great time. The coldest we got down to was -35 and it was good fun. I thought I'd share a few comments about the best bits of kit I took up there and will be taking with me on this trip. PM or post if you want anything further.

Footwear: I wore the new British army cold weather pro boots. I am a 12 and picked them in a 14 for £25. With a felt insole (home made) and two pairs of British army artic socks (white with a red band at the top). My feet were pretty much warm all of the time in this combo.

Base layer: Ullfrotte 200gram top and bottoms - wicked toasty warm all of the time. I also took some cheaper wool long johns but they were cack. Dutch army half wool tops from Endicotts are as good as the Ullfrotte (in my humble opinion..)

Trousers: Fjallraven Forester padded trousers. These over the 200gram long johns were ample at all times. If you wanted something cheaper then the german army padded moleskins are a good option.

Mid layer: Thick wool jumper (from Fat Face that well know outdoor supplier) with a button up neck for regulating temperature.

Jacket: Trakker fishing jacket similar to snugpak sleeka. The British army softie jacket would also be perfect. I wore this most of the time over my jumper and base layer.

Outer layer: On the bottom half I wore either swedish snow cammo trousers or german army goretex trousers - I picked these up off ebay for about £20. On top I had a British army goretex jacket about 400 sizes too big for me so it could go over everything else. This was great but this time I will only be adding a snow smock as an alternative windproof shell.

Gloves: British army goretex lined leather gloves and a thin silk liner.

Mitts: British army outer mitts with a wool inner (another ebay purchase - Army surplus form Finland).

Gaiters: British army (again) snow gaiters (ebay of course) cost about £9

Thats it I guess. I managed to do it pretty cheap in the end other than the Fjallraven and ullfrotte stuff but it was worth the money and will get used in the UK through the winter so I am happy with the investment.

One last comment.. I was told by a friend of mine who has spent time in Norway to avoid German kit with flags or insignia as there are still some sensitivities about this. I dont know how accurate this is but I thought it was worth passing on given I have reccomended a few items of German kit.

All the best and looking forward to meeting up with everyone there.

Barry

Last edited:

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
I'm coming :D :D :D Just paid my deposit.

Do we know what the total numbers are?, and anything about the breifing?

Can't wait, i'm so looking forward to this, just need to go out and get some kit (as if I need and excuse).

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
Just to let you's know that the muppets at pipex have disconnected my internet access so may not be able to log-in for two days but am most definately still on for the group flight!!!
Also, my brother wants to come on this trip so he will be registering with BCUK this afternoon some time. If, as a newbie, he cannot gain immediate access then as soon as I get back online I'll sort out his deposit from my end, just to confirm his place.
Cheers.

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
Right, pipex gremlins sorted, I now need to sort some kit hire to cut down on my travel allowance, as does my brother (he's just text'd me saying his deposit is paid).
Who do we get in touch with about hire?
I'll post this on the other thread in case I am in the wrong place.

Cheers.

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
You takin' the p..h
Change to WHO?!
Peterlee has just upgraded from tin cans and tight string ... :(
Glad you're in though.
Feet-wise, we'll need size 14's for this trip.
Getting ready for work now, will log back in at midnight and check further.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE