Archery sessions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
I was wondering what one would need to take an archery session involving children within a youth service?

Ive been shooting on and off for years now off my own back but I've never been a member of any association or have any tickets if there are any in archery.

Knowing we have many keen archery on the site i thought this would be the place to ask.

Thanks in advance

Den

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Den,
The list of things required to satisfy every organisation is long and expensive. Give GNAS a call or ask someone at a local club.
I used to run a "Have a go" type stall at a small village show, but the bureaucracy has forced me to give it up. I realise that arrows are dangerous but the safety measures I was expected to comply with were becoming ludicrous. If anyone asks for my assistance now, I invite them around and have a one-to-one in my field to avoid all the messing about.

From memory, no range longer than 10 meters, bows no greater than 22lb draw, downhill targets only, backstop netting beyond target, safety signs and roped off area extending for 50 maybe 100 meters beyond the butt..... please someone tell me that this is wrong.

All the best in your venture, I wish it could be done more easily than it appears to me.

Ogri the trog

Kane

Forager
Aug 22, 2005
UK
Ogri the trog said:
Den,
The list of things required to satisfy every organisation is long and expensive. Give GNAS a call or ask someone at a local club.
I used to run a "Have a go" type stall at a small village show, but the bureaucracy has forced me to give it up. I realise that arrows are dangerous but the safety measures I was expected to comply with were becoming ludicrous. If anyone asks for my assistance now, I invite them around and have a one-to-one in my field to avoid all the messing about.

From memory, no range longer than 10 meters, bows no greater than 22lb draw, downhill targets only, backstop netting beyond target, safety signs and roped off area extending for 50 maybe 100 meters beyond the butt..... please someone tell me that this is wrong.

All the best in your venture, I wish it could be done more easily than it appears to me.

Ogri the trog

In addition most organisations have regs/guidlines relating to children on sessions like these - I seem to remember GNAS having a webpage on it on their site.

Good luck,
Kane

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
Mel and I are coaches for the National Field Archery Society (and I am the NFAS Safety Advisor - if that helps).

I will assume you are talking about Target Archery rather than Field.

If you are talking about running events for the kids, I would suggest that you try and book on a GNAS Archery Leader's Course. This is the ticket that a lot of lacal authorities require in order for you to provide services to the local authority and associations etc.

Archery for the under 12s can be a bit of a nightmare. Some kids really struggle with the co-ordination and attention span to shoot a bow at all - at least safely.

You will also have to check out insurance issues and the Child Safety/Protection Policy (or equivalent) of the group you are intending to put something on for.

Hope that helps - let me know if there is anything else you want to know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE