Archaeological find???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I found this in a field in Ireland. I dont have a clue but I know there are some folk on here that do. xIMG_1337.JPGIMG_1336.JPGIMG_1337.JPGIMG_1336.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1338.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1339.JPG
    IMG_1339.JPG
    325.4 KB · Views: 25

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
@Toddy are those bracelets hollow?

I’m only looking at the pictures on a phone so not that close.

Dale’s find looks to me as if it’s made of thin material and folded or laminated.
Can I see a row of fine punch marks or spot welds around the inside edge and an industrial looking rivet.

My first impression was the silver plated rim of my grandmothers glass sugar bowl but it looks very evenly flattened for that.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have no idea how long that style of work has been used though.

The bangle in the photograph I found is new (from a sales advert), but I have one very similar that I bought over forty years ago. They are Indian brass, but their brass can have any admixture of copper, etc., just so long as it buffs up and shines and looks sort of gold.
They are made of thin sheet, embossed and moulded and then folded over to make the D shape of the bangle.

Whether your find is one or not though ? I just don't know. From what I see it looks similar, but age wise ? :dunno:

I hoped that one of the folks who do metal detecting would spot the thread and maybe know more about this sort of find than I do.
To me, if I was fieldwalking and found that, I'd describe it as 'plough struck'.

M

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I have no idea how long that style of work has been used though.

The bangle I showed in the photograph is new, but I have one very similar that I bought over forty years ago. They are Indian brass, but their brass can have any admixture of copper, etc., just so long as it buffs up and shines and looks sort of gold.
They are made of thin sheet, embossed and moulded and then folded over to make the D shape of the bangle.

Whether your find is one or not though ? I just don't know. From what I see it looks similar, but age wise ? :dunno:

I hoped that one of the folks who do metal detecting would spot the thread and maybe know more about this sort of find than I do.
To me, if I was fieldwalking and found that, I'd describe it as 'plough struck'.

M
I reckon your conclusion is on the money. Thanks for having a go. Its just great being a find detective even if what you find is worth nowt xxx

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE