Aquiring a Canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hey folks,

Just wondering where the best place to get an old scratched up canoe/kayak for less than 40 quid. I've been checking eBay and they're all going for about 50 quid ish so just wondering if there is anything obvious I'm missing? I don't mean one of the open top Canadian style ones by the way.

Thanks
Regards
J

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Tried Gumtree but they don't have anything in my area. Will try the other. I don't care condition it's in (apart from watertight! It's only for a lads weekend it's just for a laugh really. Thanks!

Jim_aramis

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
East Cheshire
Persevere as they come all the time. The trick is finding one that is a reasonable distance to collect.

Outdoor activity centres would be worth contacting as mine was bought from some old stock via ebay.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Sorry swallow I can't seem to find it! But there are quite a few
Kicking about on eBay and preloved for cheap. I just don't want one of the open top Canadian style because their too big otherwise I'd have been straight in there.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Oh and is anyone a member of preloved it won't let me respond to anyone unless I pay and I've found a perfect one! :( would anyone be willing to contact them on my behalf?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Don't have the spare cash ATM to justify buying 100 quid canoe. And if I can't re-sell it I don't have anywhere to store it

Then wouldn't you be better off to rent one? especially considering that rentals usually come with the needed accessories; paddles, pfds, etc.

Last edited:

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
usually yes, but all the ones im looking at have paddles with them, and i have wetsuit and life jacket etc already so in the long run it will be cheaper, plus it means that if I enjoy it, which I think is the most probable outcome then i already have a canoe, and if I dont enjoy it my mate said he'd buy it off me for 40-50 quid, if I buy one at that price, I don't lose anything, but if I buy a good one and then sell it to him I'm looking to lose out on a fair wad of cash, at the minute there is one in ilkeston so it's only just down the road from me, and im bartering with the guy, I said i'd offer him 50 quid, so seeing as it's close I'm really hoping he'd give in to my offer :p

Dan J

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2012
Ludlow
If your practical why not build one. I did a couple of years ago.
Was fairly cheap and easy to do. just a couple of sheets of thin plywood and some other bits of wood for the framing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE