Approaching landowners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I think this subjects pretty well covered, but Im rather shy as you know and my people skills are not brilliant.

Have had a mosey round my nearest wood, and want to do something in it.

its about two acres with a footpath though one end and bordered by a stream, mixed decidous with a clear underfloor.

I have noted some items of rubbish, I can offer to clear, also a bit of petty clearing of the stream. (will also give me an opportunity to see if there are any springs anlong the stream, as sometimes there is.) also an awful lot of dead wood about. (not that I will be damaging live wood)

So what do I do? I dont know who the owner even is at the moment (but a few enquiries will find that out.)

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I think when you are contemplating this sort of thing you should put yourself in the landowners place. What's in it for him/her? If you can find out who they are perhaps you could get to know them, pay them a visit, offer to tidy the place up and generally get them to realise they have a friend in you. Mutual trust is the object of the exercise. If they realise that you are helpful, may act as their eyes and ears, behave yourself on their property then any reasonable person is likely to welcome you. On the subject of dead wood, I would leave it. It's a valuable asset and essential for many woodland species, especially invertebrates. Good luck :)

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
I have 2 woodlands which Im very fortunate to be able to use, and it took me a while but if you persevere you'll get there :D

My tips are:

Knock on doors (speak person to person not by phone)

Be polite

Dress smart casual

Make it sound like you know what your on about (even if ya dont...lol) ie offer some coppicing, path clearing and general upkeep.

and if they turn you down ask them if they may know of anyone else who might be able to help

What helps me now is that I can use woodlands I all ready have as references.

Hope that helps abit

Reactions: Toddy

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Tengu said:
(he makes it sound so easy)

What if your shy?

Take a friend with you for a bit of reasurance and if that doesn't help maybe they could do the talking for you.

But be prepaired to be knocked back and don't take it personally.

Or if your not to far from me (just south of Guildford) come and join in a weekender at my woods...............Ya more than welcome :D

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
You could try a good old fashioned well written letter to start off with...asking for an interview instead of just knocking on the door is much more polite. You will have to meet the owner sometime though, I guess, but that might be easier if you've had a good response to a written enquiry!?! :)

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Tengu, these are all good suggestions. I am speaking with my woodland owners hat on here. It is good to have positive minded people in the woods. If you approach honestly and openly I'm sure the resulting enquiry will be favorable. Do not be disheartened with a 'no' though. Look the person in the eye too!
My biggest worry though is slightly off the subject.... Please do not sleep under big old trees, specially after this summers drought they are really quite dangerous!
Best luck from Swyn.
PS If come over as you write on this forum.....you will be the biggest woodland possessor on this forum!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
PS If come over as you write on this forum.....you will be the biggest woodland possessor on this forum!

Haha. Im terribly shy meeting people in person, and I dont make a very sound fisrt impression.

Ehy do you think Ive been to so many job interviews without success??

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Tengu said:
Haha. Im terribly shy meeting people in person, and I dont make a very sound fisrt impression.

Ehy do you think Ive been to so many job interviews without success??

Well, perhaps it might be an idea to get your self to as many small meets as poss, It would build your confidence meeting new faces all the time..............And the ice breaker is bushcraft so conversation would be easier. Which then in the long run would make confronting people about there woodland a bit easier.

Just a thought :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE