Apples what should i do with them???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I have a wee apple tree in the garden, last year it produced some really nice apples for eating, but this year they are abit ropey, i was thinking they will be fine for cooking etc

Anyone got any good cooking recipes, any apple schnapps recipes?

I also found a huge apple tree down the foreshore which has hundreds of apples on it if i need more!!!

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
You found some down by the "foreshore"? Hahahahaha

Falkirk doesn't "have" a foreshore, unless you mean the canal banks through Lock 16 and the Wheel, and why Camelon has a Mariner Centre I'll never know...

Apple jelly? Apple Pie, apple strudel?

I've booze recipes somewhere, will look them out mate.

Liam

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If they're a bit manky they'll still make good fruit leather or apple spread :D

And Oi! Liam :)
One of my Grannies was born in Camelon.........her grandfather used to own a wee fleet of herring boats out of Campbeltown, he gave that up and became a nail maker in Camelon. He'd 12 kids though and a lot of the boys went to the sea.....maybe that's why ?

cheers,
Toddy

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
lol we do have a foreshore, it maybe an artifical flood bank that is keeping skinflats 6ft out of water but its ours and with the carron river its a great wee place, the canal goes into the river carron by the way, we have a way more exciting foreshore than south queensferry, the foruth is like a canal there :-D

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
If they're a bit manky they'll still make good fruit leather or apple spread :D

And Oi! Liam :)
One of my Grannies was born in Camelon.........her grandfather used to own a wee fleet of herring boats out of Campbeltown, he gave that up and became a nail maker in Camelon. He'd 12 kids though and a lot of the boys went to the sea.....maybe that's why ?

cheers,
Toddy

Hahahaha Mary.

lol we do have a foreshore, it maybe an artifical flood bank that is keeping skinflats 6ft out of water but its ours and with the carron river its a great wee place, the canal goes into the river carron by the way, we have a way more exciting foreshore than south queensferry, the foruth is like a canal there :-D

Skinflats hahahaha, I forgot about there, and Cambusbarron etc - all reclaimed land - Little Holland. Yeah I heard about the new canal extension.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Did a lot of canoe surfing at S. Queensferry at one time...........came a cropper quite a lot on the beach there too right enough.
It's got a deceptive gradient that dumps you kind of unexpectedly and then the sea just rolls you ashore, upside down usually :eek:

Anyway, apples.
Give some a wash and cut them up in quarters or eighths. Just cover with water and bring to the boil. Simmer until they're mush and then strain. First though a sieve and then through a cloth. The liquid that comes out can be slowly simmered down until it's a paste (the apple spread, absolutely delicious, no added sugar) or taken right down until it's like thick treacle, spread on silicon or thick greaseproof sheets and dried, the oven works fine if you don't have a dehydrator.
Makes brilliant fruit leather :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Did a lot of canoe surfing at S. Queensferry at one time...........came a cropper quite a lot on the beach there too right enough.
It's got a deceptive gradient that dumps you kind of unexpectedly and then the sea just rolls you ashore, upside down usually :eek:

That's so true!

It's still makes me jump when I'm walking on the shore and a heeee-uuuuge seal's head suddenly pops up beside you!

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
fruit...leather? as in leather made of fruit? well i just googled this and i suppose you do learn something new every day ;)

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Just wondered what to do with 2 huge bags of Apples. Got the dehydrator full of Applerings just now, one crumble in the Oven and 5 more portions of stewed Apples in the freezer. Quite fancy trying the leather next and apple chutney sounds good too, any other unusual recipes? One bag is eating apples and one cooking apples- anyone got any thoughts on which one to use for what? Any good mix with wild foods? I've got some Rowan, Rosehips and Hawthorn.
Guess this one is for the Lovely Grubb God/Godess BR and Mary, LOL

Thanks for any advice
Ness :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cookers work well in the apple chutney fellah.

With the eaters, why not stew some to pulp with cloves, blitz them and then make apple lollies? Or make home made cider vinegar - I did a pictorial somewhere

You can certainly mix with haws to make leather - but why not try hawthorn ketchup? Rosehip syrup is the only way to roll with them....then ferment it!

Red

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Thank you BR, knew you'd come up with some good suggestions ;-). Found your tutorial on the cider, any ideas how long the cider vinegar would keep once bottled?
Was going to try the candied Rosehips this year, will have to see how much I can collect... keep getting interrupted by children and dogs!! LOL. There might be enough for something else.

Thanks to jonnytheboy for letting me highjack the thread ;-)

Cheers

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Excellent, I'll give the leather a go this week then. :D

:confused: Couple more questions about the vinegar, they might be a bit silly- sorry. How do I know the fly that falls into my juice is the vinegar fly? What do I do if its a different fly? Start again? Are they still about now or is it getting too cold for them?

Cheers

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Theres till some about - I have 30 bottles of Rioja on the go - little sods are in the airlock. If its any other fly (vinegar flies are midge sized), fish it out, squeeze it out and carry on!

MikaelMazz

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2007
The United States Of America
We got no apple on our trees this year because it frosts late in this valey some years.
But we got a couple bushles from someone who has some trees and dont use the apples.
We canned apple pie filling for the first time and it came out great. My grandmother said it was the best pie she ever made. So we can eat apple pies year round. I guess they say their is nothing more American than apple pie but I am sure you Brits eat it.
Here is a link.
http://www.pickyourown.org/applepiefilling.htm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE