Appalachian Trail.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Long shot - unless any of our American members know them , but does anyone know anyone that has walked the Appalachian Trail ( USA ) ??

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
Did he do it in a 'oner'?? And if so how long did it take him?
From my recollection he camped the entire trail but did it over several months as he was in no hurry and had friends stash provisions at intervals for him so he wouldnt need to carry more than a days food at any time.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
From my recollection he camped the entire trail but did it over several months as he was in no hurry and had friends stash provisions at intervals for him so he wouldnt need to carry more than a days food at any time.

Had/has he completed any other of the Big trails? Was the AT the better one to complete. Appreciate its subjective.

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
Had/has he completed any other of the Big trails? Was the AT the better one to complete. Appreciate its subjective.
Apart from the Highland way in the UK I am not aware of him doing any other big trails but will certainly ask him and let you know.

Reactions: TeeDee

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I had planned to do it, got to the trail head signed in. I was no 142 for the year. A medical emergency back in the UK stopped my attempt. I would of have to abandon anyway a few weeks later when the AT shutdown due to the Pandemic.

Attachments

• 011 AT.jpg
    011 AT.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don’t personally know anyone who’s hiked the entire trail but I do have a cousin who’s hiked part of it. Most people I read of who’ve done the whole trail didn’t do it in one go though.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Bragging rights go to those who complete the West Coast Trail on the Pacific Ocean side of Vancouver Island.
It was built for shipwrecked sailors but is well maintained and very popular in this day and time.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I had planned to do it, got to the trail head signed in. I was no 142 for the year. A medical emergency back in the UK stopped my attempt. I would of have to abandon anyway a few weeks later when the AT shutdown due to the Pandemic.

I'd be interested in learning the study you did for it Martin , Were you intending to walk it as a through'n'through , or break it into legs? If so how long did you think it would take etc.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Bragging rights go to those who complete the West Coast Trail on the Pacific Ocean side of Vancouver Island.
It was built for shipwrecked sailors but is well maintained and very popular in this day and time.

Pretty sure if Bragging rights are involved people are doing it for the wrong inherent reasons.

Equally the West Coast Trail is only 47 miles long.

I'm sure the scenery is stunning however and the weather changeable.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I started a bucket list a few weeks back and doing some of the AP trail was on the list, or some other big trail...

If it's for you TeeDee I hope it all comes together mate...

Thank Tony , I'm just coming to the realization that I want to do a big walk - ( only here once ) , I'm at that sweet spot of being financially able to do it , but equally each year I leave it my fitness is only going to go one way and even that works on the assumption of a given tomorrow.

Interested to hear more from MartinK9.

Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE